Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Layton glanced at me curiously while I sipped my drink. I still couldn't tolerate the smell of blood or even the sight of blood, but luckily it was one of those cups where you couldn't see the inside unless you looked directly down, so I focused on keeping my eyes away and holding my breath whenever I take a sip.

Since it was close to midnight, Jason was sleeping in one of the many guest bedrooms they had here while Levi, Sabrina, and Drew were playing a game in the game-room. The game-room was on the third level, the bedrooms and bathrooms were on the second level, and the living room, kitchen, and dining room were all on the first level.

Everyone else was scattered all over the house, leaving only Layton and I alone together. I tried to avoid his gaze by keeping my eye on the intricate designs of the floor, even though it was really hard to do that when I could feel a pair of eyes burning a hole in the side of my head.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I glanced in his direction. "Can I help you?"

"Actually, I was wondering why you asked about me training you," he replied, tilting his head a little.

Oh, that little request. After I made that everyone seemed desperate to leave Layton alone with me as they quickly ran to another floor, also taking Jason with them. I wouldn't let Drew touch Jason, and I didn't trust Sabrina that well, but I am starting to trust Levi with Jason so I allowed him to carry him up to his room.

I then passed the time by drinking blood hoping that Layton wouldn't make the entire situation as awkward as it already is. He didn't take the hint and followed me around everywhere like a lost puppy.

Even though I would never admit it to anyone, I was secretly loving the attention. I mean, come on. For the past few hours he's been ignoring me and acting like I don't exist by keeping his eye on his phone or looking over his shoulder as if expecting someone to pop out of nowhere and attack him.

I get where the worry is coming from, but it was still irritating to be treated like I was luggage he had to drag around. Maybe if I learned how to defend myself, he wouldn't be as cautious and could loosen up a little. Then he would pay more attention to me.

I was still very new and confused to the whole soulmate thing, but seeing Sabrina and Drew interact with each other taught me that vampires really take the soulmate situation really seriously. I wasn't born a vampire so I don't understand half of what they must be feeling, but Layton probably does. Since I'm such a nice person, I've decided to be more open to the idea instead of just shutting it down completely.

Was I going to regret this? Maybe. Was it wrong for me to open up to a man who took me away form everyone I loved? Absolutely. Was it wrong for him to take away my humanity? Extremely, and he will pay for that in some way later on. But it also won't be bad to try this whole thing out.

For the past few weeks, I've been in the stage of denial. I kept telling myself that this whole thing was just a lie and that I was still human, even though there were obvious signs that I wasn't anymore. I've passed the stage of denial now.

The stage I'm at now is a mix between anger and acceptance. Hearing Sabrina's story, it finally knocked into my head that this whole thing was real and that I shouldn't keep trying to deny it. I should stop trying to deny the fact that I'm no longer human, because I'm not. I should stop trying to deny the fact that I mean something to Layton, because according to everyone in the house, I do. Maybe I should let him have a little window of opportunity?

Wow, look at me. I was actually thinking about opening up to the person who has messed up my life beyond repair. I must really be going crazy now.

Someone's throat clearing brought me out of my deep thinking and I turned to see Layton looking at me expectantly. "Hey? You okay? You just spaced out for a bit," he said.