4 - Red toenails ?

Just another theory about LB's red toenails (and her lipstick). I think it is really complicated to find a reason for it but I tried and please let me know what you think about it! It is basically a "throwback" to her childhood.

POV: Loveday (9)

Me and my sister are playing in the forest near to our house. It gets later and later and we don't notice the fragrance of burning wood.
A few minutes later our father is running towards us and yell 'Run! Down to the river!' And now I understand. A forest fire.

I grab Charlize by the hand and take her with me. She is five years younger than me. She doesn't understand anything but I can feel her panic. We are running to the river as our father told us. In the middle of the river is a small island we have to get there.
There we'll be safe. The flames are now right behind us and I can feel the heat and it is hurting. We jump into the river.

A few seconds later I get my head back over water. I'm coughing and I am looking for Charlize.
I dive again but I can see almost nothing.
When my lung hurts so badly that I think I die I see her. Luckily she wears a bright red dress. I grab her and swim to the island. I lay her down and shake her 'Please wake up!' I scream. Tears stream down my face. That can't happen!

She cough and then she open up her eyes.
I take her in my arms. 'Calm down' I say.
'What happened?' She ask.
I tell her all. After that she thinks about it.
'You should always wear something red Loveday! That I can safe you too!'
I laugh 'Yeah I promise.' I said and I keep my promise. And if the red will not remember me of the importance of family and friendship then the fire scars on my back certainly will...

It's a short story but I hope you enjoyed it ! It's really difficult to find a reason but that might be an idea so let my know what you think!