CHAPTER 5

Rudra had time to understand what all really happened after that. The constables came. He was pulled out by them, outside the Delhi Ridge, where he was given medical treatment. His BP was checked to make sure he didn't go in shock. The same went for Proteeti and Viraj, but Rudra knew quite well, Viraj didn't take it as well as him. Rudra was still in his senses, but Viraj had been staring the skies, pondering at them lifelessly. Proteeti had been holding on to her ring her mother had given her, as she rubbed it, in hopes of shaking herself out of the disturbing reverie. She had her phone in the other, perhaps getting calls.

Outside the Ridge, it was flooded by police jeeps, forensic specialists and press reporters. Among the flashing cameras, which Rudra was trying to avoid, he noticed Akhil Ghosh, a mid twenty blogger who had grown really popular for his controversial news stories, as he used to enter crime scenes, click photos and escape. Akhil had seen Rudra and his resultant smile had reached to a point of malice, when Rudra instantly pulled his face away to make sure that his photograph wouldn't be clicked.

The inspector had come with a rigid face to question Rudra, to which he answered honestly.

"What were you doing there?"

"We come here for walks." Rudra said. He had planned it with Proteeti and Viraj, when they were leaving the scene, to make sure they don't mention anything about marijuana or smoking up. "When we got tired—we caught a stench and we followed it,"

He wrote that in his diary. "Did you know the Vic?"

"Yep," Rudra nodded, unmistakably. I knew her very well. "She was our college senior."

"Did you know her personally?"

Rudra shook his head.

"Can you tell us the exact time you found her?"

"You don't see your watch when a senior of yours is in that sort of a position." Bluntly Rudra responded, to which the inspector just growled under his breath.

"Can you tell if there's anything off about her friends or some enemies she had?"

"I told you, I didn't know her properly. We just knew her by face." He lied. And he had a valid reason for it. "And by name, of course,"

"When was the last time you saw her?"

"We had a weekend off. I saw her on Friday, though."

"So she must have gone missing during the weekend,"

"I guess,"

The inspector hesitated. "Uh...your parents have been notified. They are worried about you." Rudra glanced over at Proteeti and Viraj, who were talking to their own parents. Proteeti garbled on with her mother perhaps, as she spoke in Bengali, rapidly spouting words. She was audible but not understandable. Viraj spoke listlessly, hard to hear from where Rudra stood. Rudra didn't get a call; for now. They would be concerned about him when he'd return.

"Also, erm..." the inspector coughed, "the investigation will begin and we won't reveal photographs or details about the victim to the public knowledge. It's for the sake of the Vic's parents and for the sake of our own investigation, as we don't want panic to strike across the city. I hope you understand that," the inspector indicated meaningfully.

Rudra nodded. "We won't say anything. I promise."

"Great!" he closed his diary, as he tucked it in his pants.

"Can I ask you something, sir?"

"Sure, kid."

"Who could do this?"