CHAPTER 6

It was a Saturday morning, when it happened. Proteeti and Viraj had also been brought in, regardless of their reluctance. Rudra was taken into the station, where he saw muggers and drunkards, being pushed around cells. The place was dingy and had the smell of leftover aloo paranthas, with a revolving fan and a cooler. He already saw his two friends, sitting on the armed chair, in front of a mustached man in khakis.

He had seen this man. He was the Investigating Officer of this case, who had been in the media frenzy for quite some time, explaining the proceeding's of the case. Proteeti looked fine today as usual, except the shadows and under eye bags being the only indication of the physical toll the past week had had on her. She had her usual jhola. Viraj looked terrible. He hadn't shaved or taken a bath, for he stank of sweat and alcohol. He was weirdly silent.

"Who did this?" he asked, straight away.

"It was Akhil." Rudra said.

"Yes. It was. But I recall that little sneak didn't enter the crime scene. He couldn't have. It was impossible for him, for the entire scene had been filled with my men. So who did this? Eh? Someone must have clicked a selfie or something, one of you and you thought justice should be served, people have the right to know..." he mocked, imitating what he thought was a brilliant teenage impersonation, "and blah, blah! Eh? So who was it?"

A sudden, convulsing memory seared in Rudra's mind when he recalled Viraj pulling out his phone to check if he could call. He knew they had been at a place where network won't be there, and yet he did. It was a sign of panic, but then, he was the only one who had pulled the cell phone out. It was an uncomfortable thought of course, for Viraj had soft, bubbly feelings for Tanya and he would never do anything to hurt her family's sentiments. Yet for the very same reason, it made Rudra believe that he might have, for he could be seeking to serve justice by letting more people know about it.

Whatever had been the case, he made sure to zip his mouth. The last thing he wanted in these dark times was to be putting his friend into trouble by narcing on them to the police based on his own unverified assumptions.

"You kids realize what you have put the victim's parents through, right? This is not some sick joke. You need to understand that they have already been through a lot and now the world knows how she was displayed at the scene of the crime. Thank god, the picture hides her face, concealing her identity otherwise; you three would have been in a lot of trouble."

Tanya's parents used to live in the rich and urban Vasant Kunj, in South Delhi, in a bungalow. Her father was a businessman. And the last thing they would want is such a big stain on their family name.

"I think, if I speak from everyone..." Rudra gestured over to Proteeti and Viraj, who were frozen by all the yelling, "We haven't done it. You should ask your men who were there on the crime scene, in fact."

The officer narrowed his eyes. "What did you say? You think my professional constables gave in the information? Are you outta your mind, you little piece of shit, doubting our competence?"

Rudra tightened his jaw. Sure, the Investigating Officer was angry, but taking it out on him wasn't right, or professional. "If it weren't for us, you wouldn't even have a body to look into."

The man sighed. He had clenched his fists and then let it out, praying his best to not scream anymore. "Listen, you are saying, none of you did it?"

Proteeti shook her head. Viraj uncomfortably adjusted in his chair, before nodding. Rudra noticed that. Viraj's body language was clear—he must have done it. But there still was an inkling of doubt, and he didn't want to prod him. "No, we didn't. We have kept the privacy as requested. We respect the victim and her family."

The officer had nothing to say, but give a non disclosure report. Rudra had to sign it with his friends, making his statement official. We had no hand in the leaking. It was written over it. Rudra left, as he eyed Viraj. Proteeti stood adjacent to him. Viraj left with his sling bag dangling across his hips, as he walked to the auto-rickshaw and sat inside.

"Did you talk to him ever since that day?" Proteeti asked.

"No,"

The auto rickshaw left.