5. Worthless

                A week went by, Rory went to her job day after day, popped into the gym before she headed back to the apartment. Ever since the mention of Eddie's muscular frame, she reminded herself of the gym membership she paid for each month and decided to start going back. Ever since this change in her routine, she less of her creepy neighbour Mike, and things seemed to be moving smoothly.

Until Mike picked up on her routine change. She made it to the top of the stairs on her level and pulled her keys out of her purse, still sweaty from the gym, her hair pulled back in a blue band. All she wanted was a shower and something dripping in grease, but instead she came face to face with Mike. He stepped out of his apartment the moment she reached her door.

Not turning to look at him, she shoved her keys into the door handle, but Mike was quick to her side. Leaning against her frame, he leaned towards her and she could smell beer on his breath.

"Excuse me," she mumbled.

"Are you avoiding me, Rory?" he asked.

She was fed up with him, so as she stepped into her apartment and went to shove the door closed she growled at him, "Yes."

The ferocity of which her words came out was enough to irk Mike, and he shoved his foot into the doorframe and stopped the door from shutting. Rory had half a mind to open the door and slam it shut harder with the intent to break his foot, but she was stunned into submission. A flash of memory from her last relationship crossed her mind.

Worthless.

Mike opened the door and was halfway into the entryway of her place now, and she didn't know how to get him to leave. Her hands trembled at her sides, but she had to do something. Looking up at him, but not in the eyes -she was taught as a young girl not to challenge animals by looking them in the eyes, and what difference was a predator like Mike to an animal?

"Is there something I can help you with?" she asked, trying to sound determined and courageous but it came out so softly that she hated herself.

"Just wondering why you're avoiding me."

Useless.

Her trembling hands curled into fists, and then she raised a hand and pointed at the door. "Can you please leave?"

"I just want an answer, Rory, it's rude to ignore people!" He raised his voice.

"It's rude to step into peoples houses without invite!" she shouted back.

"Hey, hey, what's going on here?" Eddie's voice came from the stairs, followed by swift footsteps that brought him to the top level. He came around the stair bannister and approached Mike. Though he was fairly shorter than Mike, Eddie didn't look intimidated. Instead, he looked angry, it flashed and lurked behind his blue eyes.