9. Promise

                Rory spent the next morning watching clips of Eddie's show before the network fired him; luckily for her she was able to watch it on Youtube. She got up early that morning, when the sun rose and the ray came through the slanted blinds and landed straight in her eyes. After brewing a pot of coffee, she flipped open her laptop and looked him up, knowing that she had plenty of time before she would meet him for their usual morning coffee – getting up at six AM meant she could have another few cups at nine when Eddie woke up.

With one foot propped up on the stool next to the one she was sitting on, she was entranced by his work. The way he spoke of issues that politicians shoved under the rug and refused to acknowledge was commendable. She found herself rooting for Eddie and some of the people he interviewed; good Samaritans who just wanted to help out, homeless people explaining their stories.

She didn't need to watch them to know that Eddie Brock was a good person, but it confirmed her suspicion that he was anyways.

A knock came on her door and she got up, walking over and pulling it open a crack; it was Eddie with two mugs.

"Oh shit, is it nine already?" she asked, turning around and glancing at the clock on the stove.

"Eight, I actually got a full night of sleep last night," he said, something in his words suggesting that maybe it was for the same reason that she got a full rest too; she went to bed with a smile on her face after kissing Eddie, after holding hands with him and feeling his arms around her.

"Yeah, me too," she said as she closed the door and unlatched the chain to let him in. Eddie stepped in and handed her a mug.

"Looks like you already got one," he said as he looked at the counter where her mug and laptop sat.

"No such thing as too much coffee; I need the energy to get me through my day."

"Work today?" he asked as he walked in, they were comfortable enough in each other's presence that they treated each other's apartments like their own. But Rory went beat red as Eddie walked around and spotted what was on her laptop.

"What are you watching?" he asked, eyebrow raised.

"Porn," she lied.

He flashed a grin at her, "You call my old work porn? Man, Rory, you need to get out more -ah, but I am flattered."

"Oh shut up," she said with a laugh, walking around her counter and shutting the tab down the shutting the device.

"Thought we weren't looking into each other's pasts?"

She glanced at him then, wondering if he really wanted to know everything. She could sit him down on the couch and tell her story, her two years with him and how she was blind to the signs that were so obvious, that she was way out of her league to begin with and should have slipped out before things got ugly. And they did get ugly, she was trapped and held hostage in her own mind as she was gaslighted.