Prologue

"Knackered? Is that another word for knickers? Aren't knickers underwear? Why did she say he looked like an underwear?"

Her laugh was a melody he missed. Her eyes were hazel brown then, shining bright before forming a crescent as she laughed. He never realized it then, never really paid attention. But now, he wished she was right next to him just as she was before.

She would shake her head at him, before pushing her hair back, "I don't think that's what she meant. I think she meant knackered as in tired. Maybe it's just the way they say it."

"Huh, so much for one language," he said, glancing down at the two humans just beneath him. His feet dangling just a few feet above their heads.

"You're always asleep in class," the girl said, her blue eyes showed worry in them.

Her brother couldn't really care less, or really he couldn't pay attention properly. His eyes were feeling heavy again, and he was trying to stifle back a yawn, which would only get him more lecture than he wanted. He tried to blink the sleepiness away, and hold a straight face.

"Stop it, Airis," she would scold him. "It's rude to do that when they're talking. We don't want him falling asleep right in the middle of the road, do we?"

Airis sighed and stopped, not because she was right - not that he will ever admit it. But mostly because if he didn't, he'd be condemned with the same fate as the human boy. Stuck listening to a boring lecture. He had learned the hard way, humans or not, females talk a lot.

Besides the boy had rubbed all the sand away, and was more awake than he was minutes ago. His sister was shaking her head, disapprovingly. To appease her, he decided to offer to treat her at a nearby frozen yoghurt shop. It certainly perked up her mood even if it did lighten his wallet. At least, it'll keep her from telling their Mum.

They would watch as the two siblings walk away, and the sister began to chatter regardless whether or not she bore her brother. Airis patted his brown pouch, "He really should get his proper sleep. My bag is heavier than it should be now."

"Your bag will always be heavy," she would point out, before standing up. Airis finally noticed the black cloth loosely hanging over her with what looked like a yellow smiling face, instead of the white dress she usually had. Even her usual peach coloured skin was blue. He never knew that was possible.

"What happened to your dress?"

She looked down at her outfit before grinning sheepishly, "Humans um call this a tee and um, jeans? Yeah, I think that's what they said."

"You look like Pitch," he told her.

She at least had the decency to look affronted, "I do not! It's just something humans wear. I thought I would try something out rather than just that boring nightgown."

"You wanted that 'boring nightgown'" he pointed out. "You kept looking for the right one for so many nights."

"Well, now, I want a tee," she said, smoothing out her clothes. "Besides, they have a wider variety anyway."

"Oh yes, I'm sure Pitch would be so grateful to see you in them," Airis said, teasingly. "You two can now be a nice match with the colour black."

"You're so mean," she huffed, and pushed him causing him flail and fell off sideways. His eyes shut instinctively, his hands held out to catch himself.

"Airis!"

He sat up, gasping. That felt so vivid, so real. He hated these kind of dreams especially when he fell. Catching his breath, he ran his hand through his sandy blonde hair. He glanced at his clock to see that it was only two thirty in the morning. Groaning to himself, he laid back down trying to get some sleep while he can.

Ten minutes later he slept a dreamless sleep until his alarm rang. Some part in him churned at the gnawing feeling of something's wrong.

•••

Hah! This was unplanned but I figured we all need a little fantasy in our lives. Enjoy ~

Thanks to adellweg for the cover on the side.