Chapter 2

A wave of calmness washed over her, her heart felt lighter than she ever remembered. She felt like she was walking on air. Her feet treading lightly on the cool floor. She could hear laughter, while a soft melody played in the background. Her feet she noticed wasn't touching the ground, hovering over the wood floor, just as how the rain never touched her no matter how much it tries. She watched as the kids ran around in the rain, calling out for a rainbow to show them the way to the pot of gold. She smiled to herself when the oldest of them called out the younger one for being silly in believing those stuff.

She looked up to the sky, where the rain had stopped and a rainbow slowly showed itself. Wanting to prove himself right, the boy ran in search of the pot of gold. The other kids immediately tailed behind him - even the one that called him out followed him albeit slower than the rest.

"Don't make it too easy for them," a voice said, averting her attention from the kids. She looked up to see a familiar figure adorned in black easily making lightning appeared in the sky. His dark hair a contrast to his light colour face.

"Hi Pitch," she greeted, smiling at him. From afar she could hear the shrieks of the little kids as they try to look for cover. Luckily for them, she easily led them to a small hut, where they immediately went to.

His dark eyes took in her new outfit. A small quirk of a smile, as he simply said, "Nice."

"Airis figured you'd might like it," she said. "Little Tommy has to be up in a few hours. We can't expect to drag out his dream forever."

"No sleeping in then," Pitch asked, letting dark clouds flicker.

She shook her head, "I can't let Airis do that to him, not after last night. The poor boy got badly scolded by his Mum. His sister clearly didn't help with the situation."

Pitch sighed, dejected. He had plans for this dream. Something that will make the little boy wet himself. But clearly that wasn't happening anytime soon, not with her around. He will just have to be satisfied with scaring other kids. The clouds cleared and the storm stopped, the rainbow shone bright for the kids to see. He watched as Tommy rushed out to check on things, before leading the others to continue their search.

"Thank you," she told him.

"Yeah, sure, I have a bunch of teenagers staying up for a horror fest, anyways. Plenty of nightmares to go around," he told her, grinning.

***

"Rachel!"

Rachel didn't have to turn around to see the red head skating towards her. It's becoming a habit of Emily's to go around on her brand new skateboard, claiming that it saved ample time in getting around. A fact that Rachel would argue on if the girl would stop and listen for a while. She turned around to see Emily coming right at her full speed. Frozen for a moment, Rachel shut her eyes out of instinct, bracing herself for the impact. Instead, what came was laughter, laughter and a light shove from the red head.

Rachel opened her eyes to see the other laughing clearly amused.

"You should've seen your face." As if trying to imitate her, Emily threw her arms around herself and made an overly exaggerated expression that was nothing like the one she made earlier.

Rachel let out a huff, and shoved the other in retaliation. She was satisfied, in knowing the younger stumbled and nearly fell.

"Come on, Rach, have a little faith in me," Emily said, immediately clinging on to her arm as soon as she regained her balance.

"I see you don't have a date today," she stated, letting the other lead the way to their next class. "Which is weird, seeing that you had one everyday for the past week."

"I didn't realize I had dates," Emily said, confused.

"So you're saying, you're not seeing Aaron?" Rachel asked, carefully. "Because you two seemed too close to just be friends."

It was stupid once she said it out loud. Rachel felt like one of those girls who had nothing better to do other than ask people about their love lives while her own was practically nonexistent. But it was something she noticed. Emily had plenty of guy friends, but none she was close to as she was with Aaron. Rachel rarely saw the red head around these days, but when she does, the blonde will be there as well, glued to her side. They would simply be laughing and talking with his arm around her shoulders. Once, Rachel spotted them together sharing some cake, which seemed a little more intimate than usual.

Emily seemed to think about it as well, staying quiet as she does so. It made Rachel shift uncomfortably, waiting for an answer. Finally, Emily scrunched up her nose as if she smelled something bad, and snorted.

"Aaron's practically my brother. Dating him would be like incest," Emily said, disgusted. "Gross. Why would you ever think that?"

"You just seemed close," Rachel muttered, a bit embarrassed. "That's all. I've seen you two hung out together lately and all."

Emily laughed lightly, "We hang out. But we're not dating, are we?"

Rolling her eyes, she retorted, "That's different."

Emily shook her head, smiling knowingly, "Nah, we're just friends. He already has a girlfriend anyway."

Rachel nodded, silently. Well, that's that.

"I didn't know you missed me," Emily added, after a while. "You could've just said so, we would've hung out day and night."

"I thought you were seeing Aaron, and I didn't want to intrude," Rachel said, shrugging.

"I'm only showing him around. And helping him with certain things," Emily said, looking straight at her while she did so. "That's not a problem, is it?"

It is, Rachel realized uncomfortably. She finds a problem with that. But if she can't even justify it to herself, how can she with Emily?

"No, why would it?"

***

The beeping sound of the machine is the only thing that kept the doctors from giving up hope. But they were stumped on what to do. Not even the experts could figure out what's wrong with the girl. She was breathing evenly, and they could find nothing wrong with her heart and lungs. She showed no signs or indications of injury. Not a scar in sight. She was perfectly healthy, saved for the fact that she had been unconscious from even before she arrived at the hospital a week ago.

The doctor in charge of her, Dr. Benzer, a man reaching his 50s, was at loss on what to do as he went over her charts and medical records. Feeling an ache on his shoulders, he decided to look them over again tomorrow. Putting the papers back in place, and the file inside a locked drawer, he turned off the lights and left his office. He bid goodbye to the ones with a late night shift, and was thankful he didn't have to do those anymore.

He had just checked out, and was passing the room of his puzzling patient, when he realized someone beat him to it. A young male who seemed to be in his early 20s, peering into the room through the glass.

"Excuse me, visiting hours are over," he told the younger one. "You'll have to come back tomorrow."

"I'm sorry. I just don't have the time to visit her during the day, this is the only hour I can see her."

His voice sounded eerily familiar to Dr. Benzer. When he finally had a proper look at the younger, Dr. Benzer can't help the chills running down his spine. The guy had dark brown hair combed neatly down, his eyes darker than ash staring down the doctor. They seemed so familiar, making the doctor felt smaller than he ever did before. He was reminded of his painful days.

"Do I know you?" he asked.

The younger male quirked up a smile that gave off an unnerving feeling, "Flashes maybe, but I doubt enough we ever talked before."

You were too distracted to ever to.

---

Thanks to LonelyRaven for the cover on the side. Not edited, so forgive our errors.