Thirty-six: You Can't Do That, Sawyer.

Sawyer Evans

"Sawyer Lynn Evans!" Emily's shrill voice followed a loud bang waking me up. Bennett launched out of bed and glanced to me. I glanced to the clock and 3:07 read in bright red numbers.

"How dare you not come over when you got back into Rochester!?" She shouted as she slammed the bedroom door open. Bennett shot her a glare and then glared at me.

"We got home two hours ago, Em. We need sleep." I yawned.

"I needed to see my best friend! You left on a whim a week ago and I haven't heard from you since!" Emily continued to shout as she began looking around the room. She glanced to the dresser beside her and grabbed a picture frame and chucked it at me. I rushed to grab a pillow and blocked the hit.

"Calm down and quit throwing shit, Emily! Damn. Don't kill me." I brushed my hair out of my face.

"You can't do that, Sawyer." Emily frowned. I uncovered and got out of bed and walked over to her and hugged her. She began to cry.

"I'm so sorry Emily. I love you. I'm staying in Rochester. I'm not going anywhere. Do you want to stay here tonight? You can." I spoke slowly. Bennett cleared his throat. I shot him a glare and he winked. Emily nodded. I grabbed her hand and drug her towards the bed with me. Bennett scooted over already knowing what I was doing. I laid right beside him and Emily laid beside me. I rolled onto my side and faced her. Bennett shut off his lamp and turned away from me and went back to sleep.

"Wes ended things with me, Saw. He said he wasn't ready for a relationship and that I'm just not part of his plans right now.." Emily cried as she brushed her short blonde curl out of her face.

I'm such a worthless friend..

"Emily.. I'm so so sorry. You should've called me. I would've came home. In a heartbeat!" I spoke, guilt lacing my voice.

"This was the day you left, Saw.. you were a wreck and getting ready to leave. I knew that's what would help you get better so I didn't bother. You had your own problems. I couldn't have you change your mind for me.." Emily spoke, sadness lacing her voice.

"Fucking Weslynn." Bennett growled as he reached towards his nightstand.

"I have to work early this morning, I'm going to go to the guest room. I love you Sawyer. Sleep well." Bennett groaned as he stood up, his tall frame retreating down the stairs.

"He's going to go call Wes isn't he?" Emily asked as she raised her big brown eyes and looked into mine.

"There's no telling.. he may actually be going to sleep in the guest room." I spoke slowly. She nodded.

"I have to use the restroom. I'll be right back Em." I smiled weakly as I stood up. She nodded.

"I'll bring up some ice cream too." I nodded as I retreated down the stairs towards the kitchen. I walked into the bathroom down the hall towards the guest bedroom. I splashed water in my face and glanced up into the mirror and saw Wes standing in the bathtub. I screamed and as soon as I did his hand was clamped over my mouth.

"Sawyer, please. Shhh." He spoke frantically. I let out a deep breath and nodded.

"What the hell are you doing here!?" I exclaimed as I slapped his chest. "I'm mad at you, Weslynn!"

"Sh. Sawyer, I don't want Emily knowing I'm here. I've been here all week. Bennett's been letting me stay here since everything happened." Wes shook his head. His eyes red and puffy.

"I'm not doing this.. I am going to find Bennett." I shook my head as I walked out. I turned down the hall and walked towards the guest bedroom but ran into Bennett's chest.

"Bennett Arthur! Why didn't you tell me!?" I exclaimed.

"Wes asked me not to.. I didn't think Emily would end up showing up here." Bennett shook his head. "come on." Bennett spoke lowly as he pulled me into the guest bedroom.

"Wes is about to inherit his mother's resort in Hawaii. She said he would only get it if he dated Irene Harrison. He's only doing this until the contracts are signed. Irene knows. She's getting a share of the money. He likes Emily a lot. His mom is just about as strict as mine, Sawyer. She just can't comprehend her high class son dating someone who is not high class." Bennett spoke as he grabbed my hand.

"He needs to tell Emily! This isn't right. I will not hide this from her, Bennett." I snapped as I pulled my hand away from his.

"He's trying to figure things out, Sawyer. Let him do it on his own time." Bennett spoke lowly, a pleading look in his blue eyes.

"I'll give him three days. That's it." I spoke as I got up. He nodded as he stood up beside me, his frame towering me. He placed a kiss on my forehead and I walked out. I grabbed chocolate ice cream out of the freezer and ran up the stairs.

As I made it to the top, the bed was empty. Emily was no longer up here. I sighed as I walked back down stairs and headed towards the living room. Emily was sitting on the couch, Wes right beside her. Wes glanced over to me and nodded. I smiled slightly as a yawn escaped my lips and I shuffled back up the metal staircase and into the bedroom. I walked to the edge of the bed and face planted into it. I am exhausted. I heard Bennett chuckle followed by a slap onto my butt as he walked into the room behind me. I lifted my face from the fluffy comforter and glanced at him.

"Oof. That was quite rude." I mumbled. He sat down on the bed beside me and got under the covers.

"Was it though?" He smirked. I smiled and nodded as I scooted up the bed and laid down beside him. He rolled over onto his side, placed a kiss on my forehead and pulled me into his chest and quickly fell into a slumber.