o3. C H A P T E R T H R E E

"Last one." She mumbled as she stood to crack and relieve her aching back. She went through the banged up items in the box. "Most of this stuff needs to be thrown away... or donated." She pulled out an old frame with an old picture of her mother holding her as a baby wrapped up in a yellow blanket. She placed the frame by her small television and pushed the box along with it's remaining items by the door. "Done." She sighed with relief and plopped down on her bed.

The rain got louder by the minute but her radio continued to play over the subtle pitter patter.

She looked up at the red moon which filled her dimly lit room. She walked over to her window and stared in awe at its beauty. "We never had nothing like this back in Seattle."

Her attention was averted when her hungry cat smacked at her leg and meowed softly. "Okay, I know you're hungry. I am too and now that I'm finished unpacking we can eat dinner together tonight, okay?" She made her way to the kitchen and opened a can of food for her feline then made herself a simple peanut butter and jelly. "We need to go shopping." She looked at her empty fridge then to her companion who stared at her blankly. "Maybe I should get you a little toy or even a scratching post."

     "Meow."

     "Oh, you like that idea huh?" She took a bite of her sandwich.

     "Meow."

She scratched behind the cat's ears and under it's chin.

     "Okay, first thing tomorrow morning I'll be off to the store." She smiled as the pet continued to eat. "You're so cute." She finished off her dinner and washed it down with some tap water.

She walked back to her room to change into her cozy pajamas.