Prelude

I like mermaids.

I especially liked the terrifying mermaids from the anime and manga Mermaid's Scar and Mermaid's Forest, which is why I felt inspired to fill my October short story collection with mermaids...and other paranormal haunts, of course.

But this isn't a fanfiction of Mermaid's Scar or Mermaid's Forest. The inspiration from these stories is loose; hardly recognizable.

If anything, this short story collection is a marathon.

I'm participating in the 2018 Frightmare Fest and Halloween Vault contests and prompts—like, really participating; I step up to the challenge of more than half the contests available—so I can prepare for the rigorous writing demands of NaNoWriMo.

What's the Halloween Vault?

The Halloween Vault is a daily event hosted by two dozen ambassador (or "official") Wattpad accounts, and it ranges from contests with prizes, to prompts for inspiration, to interviews with Frankenstein. It's a fun event, especially because I've never written horror, and many of the contests and prompts are designed to spook the reader.

What's Frightmare Fest?

This is another spooky-themed event with contests and prompts. It's in my Reading List "Contests," for those interested in diving in.

Plans for NaNoWriMo

For National Novel Writing Month, this coming November, I'll be writing 50K for A Shapeshifter, Cyborg, & Wisp—2K-3K chapters daily, five days a week—so I have to work up stamina.

Plans for NaBloWriMo

In addition, for National Blog Writing Month, I'm writing daily at Cleo's Autism Awareness, my blog for exploring autism after my adult diagnosis:

www.CleoAutismAwareness.com

I only intend to clock 500-1K there every day; but still...that'll be a lot!

Other Writing Projects

My other projects will reduce to updates once every 10 days, i.e., 3 times/mo.; but that'll just be for the month of November. That's fine, right?

So let's explore the short stories of this October marathon then! It's time to stretch my daily word count muscles, before a novel has a chance to consume me... 😅👻😸

♦️

First & second drafts: October 18
Word count: first 146 / second 340