"ELEVEN rubles?"

"V..." I run my eyes over each letter as carefully as I possibly can. "...v." I take a deep breath. "Where the hell is it?"

"Balei?" I drown out Ben's eyes as I squint my eyes. The letters before me seem to be jumping from one position to the next, but I will not let these words elude me.

"I have to find it." I hear a sigh above me. Ben's aftershave takes over my olfactory senses but I ignore it as I'm too focused. 

"Balei, how do I look?" I sigh deeply. As my muscles relax the pen falls from my fingers. "The same as yesterday."

I reach down for the ballpoint pen from the plush rub beneath my feet. I refocus my eyes on the crossword puzzle before me, but unfortunately, I'm unable to remember what word I was looking for.

I close the book with a huff. "Thanks a lot, Ben." 

My roommate huffs. "You've had your nose in that book all afternoon. I know you aced your exams so please tell me you're going out." I roll my eyes then look back at him. "I know Emilio had a game."

I take a deep breath. "Emilio and I might be friends but I'm pretty sure he doesn't jump at the opportunity to hang out with me."

"Balei." Ben says my name with a tone of annoyance. "Girl - I feel like I keep repeating myself with this Casemiro situation - I'm pretty sure he likes you."

"Could you-"

I'm unable to say anything further as Ben holds up his hand to stop me. "Even Alexander's dating." I roll my eyes as the thought of my stepbrother crosses my mind. "I know you're in the dating game now, but I want it to be peaceful and stressful for you. Emilio's my pick."

"Okay." I straighten my shoulders. "Whatever you say. But just so you know, I actually do have a thing tonight. Emilio is not the only single man in my life." I stand to my feet as I get ready to escape this conversation. "And I just don't see whatever it is you're seeing. Emilio and I will never be a thing."

I rush toward the hallway that leads to our bedrooms then stop in my tracks as I turn to look at him. Judging by the look on his face I could tell that he'll never let this conversation go. I still don't understand how Ben got to this conclusion. Emilio and I? It's just not possible.

"That shirt is atrocious." Turning on my heels I continue to my bedroom hoping to put whatever that was out of my mind. I close my bedroom door with a sigh then head directly for my bed. 

I'm meeting Chris at his friend's house a little later tonight and I honestly didn't want to go. On the other hand, the only way to turn Ben's mind against the idea of Emilio and I, is to open up myself to other prospects. If Ben's convinced about something like this, then he'll stop at nothing to get me onboard.

I like what Emilio and I currently have. There are no romantic feelings on my side, and I'm pretty sure Emilio doesn't feel the same. It's been about two months since he broke up with Lola, and they've been together for about three years. There's no way he's getting over her so soon.

And I'm not interested in being anyone's rebound either.

Wait.

I sit up with a start. Why am I spending so much time thinking about this? 

"Christ, Balei. Get your shit together." I leave my thoughts on the bed as I decide to distract myself with trying to find an outfit for tonight.

Ben hasn't returned home by the time I'm almost ready to leave. Well, that much is expected since I didn't ask for a ride. And I know he wouldn't have said no to me, but he's out with Kate and she hates my guts so...