Chapter 3: How to Wash Dishes Properly (Unedited)

"Fru, go wake up the kid." Furuta said suddenly as he cooked their breakfast.

"F-fru?!" Driezel exclaimed, surprised.

"Yes, Fru. Don't think I didn't hear you two talking last night. The walls here are thinner than they look." Furuta said indifferently and glanced at Driezel from the corner of his eyes before returning to his cooking.

"!!!"

Realizing that Furuta was no longer paying attention to him, Driezel pouted and trudged towards the room where the child slept in and knocked softly. "Human offspring, have you awoken?"

From inside the room, quiet ruffling sounds from what could be assumed as the bed sheets could be heard. "Yeah! I'm up!"

"Well, please get ready. Breakfast will be served soon." Driezel informed the child before going back to the kitchen to stare at Furuta who was busying himself about.

"Do you need any help, sir?" Driezel asked, making Furuta pause and turn towards him, looking at him from head to foot. Furuta then raised an eyebrow. "No. I doubt you would be of any actual help."

"I c-can help, sir!"

"No thanks."

"B-but!"

"No."

"Good awakening, human offspring!" Driezel greeted cheerfully when the child enter the dining area, finding both Driezel and Furuta already sitting down and eating

"Awakening? Don't you mean morning, Fru?" The child asked, confused with how Driezel decided to phrase his words.

"Ah, yes! That!" Driezel said awkwardly.

"Your food is on the kitchen counter. Go get it yourself, kid." Furuta said at this moment, deciding to help Driezel escape from the situation.

"Oh, thanks." Compared to how relaxed he was when talking to Driezel, the child was visibly more tensed when he interacted with Furuta.

But nevertheless, when he was about to enter the kitchen, he paused. "...Thanks... For trying to save my mom." The child said with his head lowered, shocking Furuta but didn't show it on his face. "It was natural... But I failed in the end. I'm sorry."

The child's shoulder's trembled but he succeeded in holding his grief in this time. "You tried... That's what matters."

After saying so, the child walked towards the kitchen in a quick pace, seeming to want to run away from the situation.

After a few moments, he emerged two bowls in hand and a pair of chopsticks. With a confused face, he sat down beside Driezel on a square dining table that could fit four people comfortably. "Uh, what is this?"

"Miso soup and Rice with furekake and shiozake." Furuta said dully as he continued eating.

"Hey, are you both from another country,...uh.." Suddenly realizing that he didn't know his benefactor's name, the child was embarrassed. Fortunately, Furuta had astute senses and understood the child's plight. "Sumiyoshi Furuta."