Prologue

Burt had always known his son was... a bit different. He'd seem cheerful in situations were most others would be sad, he got agitated quickly- and god forbid he got angry at someone. He'd get downright hostile.

Burt had never really seen it as a problem. In fact, he had never really thought much of it. That is, until he came home from work early one day, seeing Kurt sitting at the kitchen table doing his homework.

He was usually gone working, so he didn't have time to be around Kurt much. He had always assumed Kurt was fine, though- until he saw a precise line down his arm.

"Kurt?" He asked cautiously.

Kurt looked up, smiling. "Hey dad. What's up? You're back early."

"What's that on your arm?"

He looked down at his arm. "Oh, it's a cut."

Burt was wondering how he could be so casual about this- it broke his heart, Kurt didn't seem to see what was wrong with that. "Kurt, did you hurt yourself?"

Kurt shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. They told me to."

"They who? Is someone giving you a hard time at school?"

"Yes, but that's not who I mean." Kurt said impatiently.

"Who do you mean?"

Kurt seemed to get even more impatient at this. "The people, you know."

"Do you not know their names? What do they look like?"

Kurt sighed, speaking with the air of one explaining something to a child who just didn't understand. "They don't look like anything. They're- I don't know, they're invisible. Or hiding." Kurt's eyes widened at this, and he turned to Burt, panicking. "Oh god, are they hiding? Dad, are they hiding from me?"

Something clicked in Burt's head. He had seen this before, this is how Elizabeth had acted before. He shook his head slowly. "No, Kurt, they aren't hiding. Come on, let's go for a drive." He said gently.

When they got into the car, Burt started off driving. The doctors had managed to figure it out, as she- well, was gone. They figured out what made her take her life. Why she'd act paranoid sometimes, mutter about people. Invisible people.

"Where are we going?" Kurt asked curiously.

"We are going to visit a friend of mine." Burt made up, pulling into the parking lot.

~-~

Soon, they determined exactly what was going on. Burt had guessed it correctly.

"So," Burt said on the drive home. "I was thinking, and I think you should transfer schools. Since the students at yours give you a hard time, you know." He had gotten in contact with a friend of Kurt's, and the situation seemed to be a lot worse than he said it was.

Kurt was still mildly confused by the whole visit. They hadn't seen anyone, he had been asked a bunch of questions and told he was some long complicated word. "But what about the glee club?"

"They won't mind, they're your friends. They want the best for you."

Kurt thought about this for a minute. "And the people?"

"They... They'll transfer with you. Um, Kurt, you probably shouldn't mention those- them- to anybody except me. They wouldn't understand." Burt said gently.

"Why do you, then?" Kurt asked.

Burt tried to think of a good way to put it. "They were with your mother too. You inherited them from her, I suppose."

Kurt nodded, seeming satisfied by that. "Can I go to Blaine's school?"

It was a good school, and Kurt would be happy there, Burt figured. "Sure. You can go to Dalton."