One

Ruby

Salem, Virginia. It has always been my home. It should be considering I was born and raised there. There is so much I'm leaving behind. Not just psychical things like my home, my old tree house, but there is so much more to it than that. I'm leaving behind people, memories. I made my first friend there in kinder; Sam. I remember the day so vividly. 'Please, Do not make me go in there!' I remember shouting at my dad as his warm skin left my hand; encouraging me forward into the waiting arms of the receptionists. 'Don't worry sweetie, we brought you here so you can make new friends.' He said as he gave me one final push through the doors and whispered something to one of the receptionists, I looked up at her ocean blue eyes and read her name tag 'Catherine' She continued to talk me forward like I was bait for whatever monsters lurked behind the door but before we reached it she stopped, and crouched down to my level to meet my gaze. 'Now..' She hesitated and looked at my own name tag which was basically a piece of masking tape with 'RUBY' scrawled across it in permanent marker before continuing 'Ruby, we have.. partnered you up with one of the other kids to make you feel less... lonely. Follow me.'

 She opened the door with her free hand and I followed her gaze into the large rectangular room and stopped dead in my tracks when all the kids stopped what they were doing and just stared at me. 'Hello kids! This is Ruby and she will be joining us today so please make her feel welcome.' Catherine announced to the other children,  A couple of them smiled at me and I smiled back. Catherine led me over to a girl with long dark blond hair playing with a little farm play set on the far left corner, she met my gaze and smiled I read her name tag 'SAMANTHA' before she handed me a little chicken toy and beckoned me to sit down next to her.

 We talked for hours until it was time to go home. She gave me one last wave at the door before she walked out of the huge glass doors and then I followed shortly after. I don't think I have ever been quite so happy and I really don't know why I was so afraid in the first place.

Hey guys! I really hope you enjoyed this as this is my first story. I just wanted to say once again that these characters belong entirely to Alexandra Bracken and I just wrote this because I am obsessed with The Darkest Minds series and I will try to update this story as often as I can! Please give me feedback and suggestions and I will try to include them as much as I can. Thank you again for reading!

<3