I

"You know, the wind's not gonna let up, no matter how beautiful you are

"You know, the wind's not gonna let up, no matter how beautiful you are."

•••

The cold morning air nipped at Fiona's rosy cheeks, sending chills throughout her body. Each breath she took turned into white smoke that faded into the sky as it floated higher and higher. She dug her heel into the hard ground, digging up a piece of frozen dirt. She hadn't been able to stop fidgeting for the last five minutes, counting down each minute until the 7:00 o'clock bus would pick her up and drive her down North Wells to her part-time job at the 7-11.

The bus stop shelter's windows had frosted at the edges, and unfortunately wasn't any warmer on the inside then it was in the outside. That's why Fiona stood herself behind it, hoping to possibly block out the cold breezes that blew through every once in a while.

She pulled her jacket tighter against herself, wincing as the cold cloth was brought closer to her skin. She figured it was better then nothing as she was trying to close the gap made by the broken zipper. She had given her actual coat to her younger sister, Debbie, so she wouldn't be cold as she walked to school with her younger brother, Carl, who had his own.

Fiona tried to ignore the uncomfortable icy feeling that crawled along her skin and jumped a few times in place. She had just gotten this job a few weeks ago, and she figured she would've gotten used to the temperature, but everyday she found herself trying to warm up her numbing fingers and hoping her toes wouldn't fall off.

She brought her arm up, pulling back the sleeve of her jacket slightly so she could read the face of her digital watch. She sighed as she remembered that she had spilled water on the thing and unfortunately couldn't wipe it off fast enough. Now the watch's face was stuck at 10:34 pm, and the temperature remained at 39*F.

It wasn't hard for Fiona to relate to her broken watch, which is why she guessed she probably kept it on. She felt as though she were stuck in place, neither moving forwards or backwards. The idea that she may not be the only one—even if the other was just a watch—was comforting to her.

She clicked her tongue and let her arm drop to her side as she gazed out across the barren street. Dew had collected on the grass of a few houses across the street from her, which a chained up dog stood licking at, its legs shaking uncontrollably from the cold. A loud horn sounded above her, but she paid no mind to it. It was just the morning L train making its daily rounds, running over the tracks that bridged over the street.

"You seem cold," A voice startled Fiona, causing her to quickly look over. There stood a girl, around her own age, pretty, and smiling. Fiona hadn't heard the girl walk up which is why the stranger caused such a reaction out of her.

"Oh, I'll be fine," Fiona smiled, regaining her bearings as she stood straight up and tried to make her shivering legs stay still. "My bus will be here soon."

The girl looked unconvinced but nonetheless nodded her head, taking a step forward before the two fell into a comfortable silence. Fiona watched her feet, shifting them every once in a while. The girl occasionally would look over at her, concerned.