III

"sing for me"-

"sing for me"
-

Something poked me.

I didn't know what it was, all I knew was that it was soft, and warm, and pulled me from the dreamless sleep.

My eyes opened slowly, getting used to the light that poured through my bedroom window. Thick clouds hung below the sun, shielding it from the world, and yet it still managed to blind me.

I felt another poke, and turned on my pillow, finding none other then my nephew standing there, his finger held out as he poked my back. His smile grew when he saw I was awake, and he quietly climbed into bed next to me.

"Hey, bubba, Did you sleep well?" I asked tiredly, wrapping my arms around him while he snuggled into my side. He nodded his head and looked up at me with his big, doe eyes, making my heart warm with love and the nurturing feeling of being with family.

I heard a clang downstairs and looked out to the hallway, smiling because the smell I had woken up to was of frozen waffles and bacon. I looked over at the clock and felt my eyes grow wide. It read 7:21 am, meaning Fiona would already be on her way to the bus stop. Fortunately, necessity was the only thing on my list right now. It only took me five minutes to get dressed, brush my teeth and hurry downstairs with Eli in my arms.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty. What's the rush?" Lindsey teased me, putting a waffle and some bacon on a plate before sliding it across the island counter as I set Eli down and grabbed my coat.

"I promised someone I'd take them to work today. And I'm running a little..." I looked over at the oven clock and saw I only had three minutes left. "late. I've gotta run." I said, crouching down and kissing the top of Eli's head.

"Don't forget your food! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" Lindsey sang, pointing to my plate of food on the counter with her spatula. I grabbed the plate and planted a soft kiss on her head before hurrying to the back door, opening it halfway and looking back.

"Sorry I couldn't help out with Eli. His meds are in the bathroom cabinet, his favorite hoodie is in the wash, and his favorite TV show is on at—"

"Y/N," she cut me off, making me stop and look at her. "Chill. Go pick up your friend. You act like I haven't been watching Eli since he was two." She laughed, making me sigh and nod my head.

"Alright, bye guys. Love you, E. Love you, Linds." I smiled at him as he waved back at me. I cooed as Lindsey picked him up and fed him a piece of bacon.

"Can you say, 'bye, Y/N?'" Lindsay asked softly, as Eli paid no attention to me. She took his hand and waved at me with it, making me smile before I walked out of the door and closed it behind me.

I hurried out to my car and unlocked it, putting the plate of food in the passenger seat as I turned on the ignition. I pressed in the clutch and shifted to first gear, pulling off of the curb and heading down the street.