Chapter Twenty Two: Together

The next couple of days are spent preparing for the war. Putting up defenses, killing most of the walkers, hiding some of the vehicles to look like we ran away.

"If they try to drive up to the gate again, maybe some blown tires will stop them." Glenn says as he comes back up to the prison. I hand him a water bottle, along with Daryl and Michonne.

"That's a good idea." Rick says.

"It was Michonne's" Daryl tells him.

"We don't have to win, we just have to make them getting at us more trouble than it's worth." Michonne says. I smile at her.

"Well keep coming up with the good ideas, we can use as many as you got." I say.

"Hey." Daryl calls to Rick.

"Yeah, let's go." He tells him.

"Where are you two off to?" I ask.

"Just gotta take care of something." Rick tells me.

"Need help?"

"Nah, we're good." Daryl replies.

"Be careful then, both of you." I tell them both Rick's and Daryl's hands wave at me.

I continue to help get things ready. I'm loading magazines with Carol when Glenn comes up to me. "Can I borrow you for a little bit?" He asks. I look at Carol, she nods.

"I got the rest of this." She says.

"What's up?" I ask him, as he leads me to the gates.

"I want to marry Maggie, I have Hershel's permission, I want you to help me find a ring." He tells me looking at the walkers. I stare at him and smile a real smile for what seems the first time in a while.

"Okay, let's do this." I say looking at the female walkers.

"Thank you."

"That one has a ring." I tell him. We get the walkers hand and chop the finger off, but it was only a mood ring. We do this for a bit and finally find one with a pretty diamond ring. We chop her finger off and I clean the ring for him.

I'm sitting at the table with Hershel and the others when Rick, Glenn, and Maggie come over.

"When I met with the Governor, he offered me a deal, he said he would leave us alone if I gave him Michonne." Rick said, I look around for her, but she wasn't there, neither was Daryl or Merle.

"Rick? You didn't." I say standing up.

"No, I was going to do that to keep us safe, I changed my mind, but now Merle went to finish the deal and Daryl went to stop him. But I don't know if it's too late."

"Oh, my Goddess." I say turning my back on him and running my hand down my face. The rest of the group was still quite.

"I was wrong not to tell you." Rick continues. I turn back around in anger, scoffing at him. "I'm sorry." He says. "What I said last year, that first night after the farm. It can't be like that, what we do, what we're willing to do, who we are, it's not my call. It can't be. I couldn't sacrifice myself for the greater good, because we are the greater good. We're the reason, we're still here, not me. This is life and death. How you live, how you die, it isn't up to me. I'm not your Governor. We choose to go, we choose to stay. We stick together. We vote. We can stay and fight or we go." He says and walks away. I sigh and sit down. Grabbing my pentacle and praying for Michonne and Daryl to be safe.

Michonne thankfully makes her way back to the prison.

"Are you okay?" I ask her. She nods to me as I close the gate behind her. "And Daryl?" I turn and ask.