Untitled part

Cuphead cut a potato, his heart pounding against his skin. He could hear it clamoring against his eardrums, even through the sound of the knife knocking on the counter.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

Empty sadness and frustration welled up in him. Everything was fine. Why couldn't he be?

His hands shook lightly, but he tried to force them steady. He had been fine, perfectly fine, for a long while, a really long while, but then some time a couple of weeks ago, it happened again, and it just kept getting worse, and worse.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

The sound was biting at his nerves now, and with each chop, he found it harder to cut. Everything was fine...

His eyes burned with a warm, soft itchiness, almost like he could cry, but he knew he couldn't. He wanted to; he wished he could, but he couldn't. His body refused to let him. His fingers started to get cold, and he let out a shaky breath.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

The potato was chopped up now, and he set the knife down, scooping up the bits, and dumping them into a pot of boiling water. He set a timer and picked the knife back up, getting ready to start chopping another one when it crept in.

'It would stop if I were dead...'

He stared at the knife. He was cold now; his shaking caused it to quiver.

'It would be so easy... It would be so over...'

He took the knife, slowly, and held it up to his wrist. There was an artery there. He could just cut it. Cut it and it would all stop. He wouldn't even have to press hard. It wouldn't even take long. It would just be over.

His heart started to pound faster as he pressed it against his skin, feeling its cool dampness. It would hardly take anything. He added a little pressure, it stung. Just a little more-

"Darling?"

His heart rammed into his chest, and then stopped. He dropped the knife, leaving it to clatter on the floor, covering his just barely scraped wrist. He was shaking hard now, his blood feeling like liquid ice.

What had he been thinking? He had been cooking dinner for his friends, for his family. They were all coming by soon. His mind raced. They would have found him, dead in a pool of his own blood. They would've-

"Darling...?" The voice rang again, but closer. Cuphead's stomach dropped. How could he even explain this? "Are you alright?"

Guilt toppled on top of all the feelings overwhelming him. His heart was trying to tug itself out of his chest. He wasn't sure if it wanted out to join the knife on the floor- or to just escape- it didn't matter.

"Cuphead?" A warm hand rested gently on his shoulder. "Cuphead, can I see it...?"

He turned around, unable to meet Dice's gaze, and kept his arm held firmly in his grasp. "...It's just a scratch..."

"...Please...?"

The worry, and softness in his voice almost made him wince, and he hesitantly let go of his wrist. He felt a trickle of blood run down his skin, then he felt Dice run a finger down it to swipe it away.

"Darling..."

Cuphead shook harder. His legs wanted to give out, and his vision blurred. "I'm.. I'm s-sorry..."

"Why didn't you tell me...? Why didn't you tell me it was bad again...?" He pulled him into a hug, engulfing him in warmth that he felt like he desperately needed, along with his scent. "I would have stayed back with you... I would have made sure you were okay..."

Tears spilled out, and he felt like he could hardly breath. He wrapped his arms around his lover, burying his head into his chest.

"Cuphead... I..." He pulled back from the hug, and grabbed his chin, making him look up at him. " I'm yours... Forever and always." The hand holding his chin slid to cup his face, "To hold and to have... Cuphead, I'm here for you. If you need me here, if you ever want me here, I'm here... I need you to understand that..." He carefully swept away the tears, and pulled him into a hug, giving him a squeeze. "I don't want to lose you..."

Cuphead hicked, and let out a sob. "I'm s- I'm sorry. I thought-"

"Promise me you'll let me know."

"I..."

"Please... Promise me you'll let me know..."

"I..." He took in a deep breath, and tried to press himself closer to Dice. "I prom- promise."

The body around him relaxed, then tightened snugly around him. "Good... good..." There was a few moments of silence between them, and Cuphead kept his head buried against Dice's chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

"Dice... I love you..."

A beat passed.

"I love you too, darling."

They pulled back, and Cuphead immediately missed the warmth and comfort that felt had just been ripped away from him. Dice took his hand, interlocking their fingers, and gave it a comforting squeeze. "Lets get that cleaned up."