Chapter 3

LCR 3

I poured Matt's cup of milk and place it on the kitchen table. Matt slept on the couch the night before and he was still fast asleep. He tossed and turned all the time I was in the kitchen. I poured myself a cup of coffee and hid my face into my hands, rubbing around my eyes. God, I don't know how I'm going to keep doing this if he keeps getting upset with me. I felt a hand on my back, and looked up to see Susie.

"Morning," she said, pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"Hi," I said, taking a seat at the breakfast table.

"Is he alright?" she asked, gesturing to Matt on the couch.

"I don't know... We got into a fight last night," I said.

"I know. I heard through the wall," she said.

"Sorry..." I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

"It's okay...I just don't want you and him to be pissed at each other," she said.

"I'm not pissed. He's the one that's upset," I said.

"I'll go wake him up. Can you put some eggs on the pan?"

"Sure," I said, getting up and retting my robe. I grabbed the egg carton from the fridge and started to crack some eggs over the already sizzling pan she had turned on.

"Hey...it's eight in the morning, you gotta get up," Susie said. I looked over to see her on her knees, pulling his hair out of his face.

"Fine. I'll be up in a minute," he groaned.

"Get up," she said.

He rolled off the couch and into the floor. I flipped the eggs over and scraped the eggs off the bottom of the pan.

"Hey," Matt trudged up and came into the kitchen.

"Hi," I said flatly without looking up.

"Are you still mad at me?" he said, coming around and wrapped his arm around the front of my waist and laid against my back.

"No..." I said. He pulled the robe collar down and kissed my neck.

"Matt...stop," I said, shrugging him off.

"What's wrong?" He said.

"I'm just not in the mood," I said. He sighed and backed up, slapping his hand on the table.

"Sorry if I was just trying to make up," he snapped. I moved past him and sat down at the chair again after turning off the stove.

"Come on, babe," he said, turning to me and laying one hand on the back of the chair and one on the table.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I was grumpy last night," he said.

"Yeah, you were," I said.

"But do you get why paparazzi gets to me? I'm sorry I had to come home like that, but it happened. And I just wanting to protect you from... Cigarettes," he said.

"I know..."

"Will you forgive me? Huh?" I was looking down and he ducked down underneath my face, biting his lip.

"Yeah," I said.

"I'm really sorry," he said, straightening up.

"Uh-huh."

"Oh my gosh, Essie, I don't want to keep doing this," he straightened back up, his hands in the same place.

"Okay."