Chapter 11: David Wilson

David walked into the office at the bright and early hour of 7 am in the morning. Hardly anybody was working at this hour and he was usually one of five people in the office. He wasted no time in picking up the phone and dialing Gemma's number, which was on speed dial right now. He quickly googled the time in Fiji before continuing the call and made an assumption that she would be responsible enough to be up at 9 AM. The phone rang for ages and David was getting impatient.

"Yellow." Jackman's voice answered finally.

"Jackman, what's the sitch? How far are we from---"

"Yeah it's not actually me, leave a message." Beep.

David bashed the handpiece of his office telephone into the desk a bunch of times before calling back.

"Yellow." The phone said after a few rings. David didn't buy it for a second and just waited for the tone.

"Ugh." Came a groan and the phone disconnected. Motherfucker, that was actually her. He called back instantly and the phone picked up just as quickly.

"What!?" Jackman groaned agitatedly.

"Please tell me you're closer to finding our victim. You have until tomorrow to solve this thing. What did you find on that laptop you recovered?"

The sound of bed sheets could be heard in the background, it sounded like she was tumbling over.

"Nothing." Came the answer. "I found out nothing. The P.I. the Clarks hired found out I was a fraud and came chasing after me."

David couldn't believe what he'd just heard.

"The police are probably looking for me, thinking I was involved in this somehow."

"Jesus Christ, Jackman!" David exploded. "Then what do we know!?" A few people outside of David's office stopped what they were doing and looked at the scene unfold.

"Well, we know that she's missing, didn't put up a struggle, went to a party with a bunch of strangers annnd probably died."

"Fuck!" David screamed. "Jackman, you are going to get back on this case right this instant and solve this! Stop thinking about yourself for once in your life! The Clarks are distraught their daughter is missing and you're going to find out what happened!"

"Well fuck me, David, I didn't exactly volunteer for this job out of good will! You called me to do this in the middle of my holiday, which I was happy taking by the way!"

"Call me back when you've got something solid." David hung up and fell into his computer chair, completely exhausted. He took some pills for his high blood pressure and fanned his face with a stack of paper he found.

"Well, that didn't go as planned." Agent Smith said as he let himself in. The younger federal agent swiped his hand through his thick hair and folded his arms. "I told you Jackman's no good for this, didn't I?" He said angrily. Agent Taylor walked in behind him.

"I'm sorry sir, but based on that phonecall we've got to take action." He said apoogetically. David shook his head. "Three days was our deal, she can do this, just give her a chance!" He argued.

"We gave her a bloody chance and that's landed us nowhere!" Agent Smith spat. "I'm sick of sitting around while you put all your eggs in one basket! We're going over, David and there's nothing that you or your impressive record can do about it!" He pointed at the shelf of trophies, photos and prestigious awards David had recieved throughout his career. "Face it, you're having a mid-life crisis and your bloody decision has cost us valuable time, which when you're searching for a missing person is important isn't it? I wasn't going to believe the rumours about you, but looks like I've got no options, does it? Come on, everybody's heard about the favouritism at King's Cross Station."

Agent Taylor stepped in, elbowing Agent Smith out of the way. "Sir, I do apologise, but the circumstances are dire. We have to take action now."

David stared Agent Smith down with the eyes of an old warhorse. He could easily crush the cunt, even if he were half his age, but he took a deep breath, released his clenched fist and nodded his head.

"Fine. Now get out."

The two agents sprung into action.