Chapter 6 And after that you will marry other women?

Lusungulu village is the village of the reigning king of kings.

Ngoni men are polygamous and lecherous

Maviti is a nickname for ngoni people which means war-like.

Werani

I keep asking myself why I stayed. Yes part of it is I have nowhere to go. But the biggest part was that Sunduzwayo seemed sincere. There is more flesh on my bones now. I know what it means to be full after eating food. The last time I did, was six years when I was with my mother. It's odd having Siphiwe, my handmaid. She keeps asking me to be comfortable and let her serve me. I tell her it will take time. I have to remind myself she is no slave. She is paid.

It was Siphiwe who told me of physical attraction that accompanied the mate bond. As she told me how herself and her mate kissed on the day they met, I remembered how Sunduzwayo's eyes had raked over me. And when he offered to carry me. Oh how I was tempted to let him, my fatigued legs wanted relief but I remembered he had offered to carry me not out of altruism but rather just wanting to touch me.

"My father allowed slavery." Sunduzwayo said. "After his death, my Younger Father took over, holding the throne till I am old enough to step up. One of the things I hope to achieve during my reign is ending slavery."

What a noble cause. I smiled up at him. His burly tall body was blocking the sun from my view which I minded because it was chilly. The grassy path we had been on ended at a hot spring. I had never seen waters that had steam rising from them. Sundu took off his shirt. My shoulders arched upwards. What was he doing? What was he doing? I slightly moved away from him. I wanted to run but I knew he would catch me.

"I just wanted us to submerge ourselves in the waters. It feels good." He said. "It's only on cold days like today that you can swim in it."

I nodded, trying to slow my accelerated heartbeat. I knew he could hear it. Sundu sat on the edge of the waters dipping his feet in it. I sat down but at arm's distance. He put his shirt on.

"I would never hurt you." He said, his eyes teeming with hurt. Why was he hurt that I assumed he would hurt me? I did not know him.

I nodded at his words, my eyes on my own reflection. Siphiwe says it would be easier if I was a leopard. Because my leopard would let me know he was worthy of trust. His presence would immediately calm my leopard down. That was not the case here. Did he want us to submerge ourselves in the nude? What were his intentions? I did not have leopard enhanced sense but I could see the attraction in his eyes.

"Your master raped you?" Sundu asked, his voice strained.

I nodded.

From the waters I saw his eyes turn from brown to gold. Anger. This I knew from Thulani and Bubile, my old master and mistress. Sundu's breaths were short and ragged.

"I was too afraid to fight him." I apologised.

"I am not angry with you. I am angry with him." His voice boomed.

I glanced up at him. His eyes were still gold. He deeply inhaled and exhaled. I glanced at the waters again. He inhaled and exhaled this time deeper. He did this about ten times, then his eyes changed back to their hickory colour. No one had ever gotten angry at Thulani for raping me. Not even the other slave girls. We had all accepted it as our fate. I looked up at him and he smiled. He was a handsome man. His oval shaped head and strong jawline gave off an aura of strength and authority.

That night my mind took me back to the nights Thulani visited my room. I woke up in a cold sweat. My hut's door swung open, standing there was Sundu.

"I heard your heartbeat. I thought someone had attacked you."

"I had a nightmare." I panted.

He scanned my face.

"I will be okay."

He stood immobile. "You sure?"

I nodded this time forcing a smile on my lips. He nodded and left.

"Oh yes, so many desired him. You have seen the way he looks." Siphiwe said manipulating my hair into a cornrow.

"Oh." I remarked.

"And in his 18th year. He sampled many of those women." Siphiwe said. "Oh I should not have told you that!"

I said nothing instead my fingers played with the mat I was seating on. I was glad she was behind me. That she could see my face. Why did this hurt me? Was I? Was I developing feelings for Sundu? As soon Siphiwe finished I stood up from the mat and left my compound. I needed to be alone.

I tried to put it out of my mind. But it was all I could think about for the rest of that day.

"You are quieter than usual today." Sundu said as we strolled in the woods forming the outskirts of the Lusungulu village. His hand gripped my forearm "What's the matter?"

"Nothing." I said avoiding his scrutinising gaze.

"You know I can sense your emotions because of the mate bond right?"

"You plan on marrying me?" I said raising my gaze to meet his.

"If you consent, yes."

"And after that you will marry other women?"

"NO!" His face contorted with disgust as he spat those words. "What would give that idea?"

I glanced down at the stony road beneath our feet. "You are a maviti."

"I am not like that." He swiped his fingers away from his body to emphasize his words.

I lifted my eyes to meet his gaze. "I know about your cassanova days."

His eyes shifted gold, he opened his mouth then shut it. His eyes switched back to hickory. Taking a deep breath, he said. "I hope Siphiwe, also informed you they are over." He took another breath, stepping forward he gripped my biceps. "My brother Nyanyiso was killed in war. His death it broke me. Sex seemed to numb the pain."

"And now?"

He moved closer. "My sister, Londiwe was raped by someone close to us. I could have stopped it but I was busy with my admirers. So believe me, my cassanova days are over."

I raised my head to nod, it gently slammed into his chest. I had not noticed we had been standing so close to each other. "I believe you."

He dropped his head planting a kiss on my forehead.

Maviti is a nickname for ngoni tribe meaning war like. Ngoni men are known to be polygamous and lecherous.