Home. dear home

Patsy's POV:

One thing I don't miss is these bloody uncomfortable boots. My head is spinning, there is seven hours difference between Poplar and Shanghai, I believe I need a good rest.

Finally, I'm home. "Here you are miss, Welcome home." Mr. Owen replies in a strong English accent, "Thank you, Peter, Its good to be back" I reply with a huff in my voice, "How is Dad Peter?" I say as we are walking up the Driveway. "Not very good miss Mount" He stops and looks me in the eyes. "Miss he needs you, He may not show that he appreciates you being here but he does, trust me." I give him a reassuring nod "Peter, I know my father, better than anyone. I also know that he is a stubborn fool and will not accept any help, I'm Sorry. I will not take no for an answer in this instance"It came out harsh and firm. "How we've missed you miss mount."

As I walk into this antique home, I hear a faint voice "Patience Elizabeth, Is that you?" an old man trying to keep his balance appears in front of me. "Father? Oh gosh, please sit yourself down" I say as I run towards him. "Don't fuss over me young lady, Come to give your father a jolly big hug!" he says breathlessly, "Of course how unthoughtful of me" I give him a tender hug. "How is everything dad?" "Oh, everything is as good and dandy." "Dad please don't lie to me I'm not a little girl anymore I can handle these things, for Christ sake, I am a midwife, I've seen stuff that you can't imagine. Everything down to death." I look in his eyes searching for an answer but nothing... "So how is your love life? Is there a man on the scene?" I look down at my hands fiddling with my seems on my denim. "About that dad, I have found someone actually," "Oh yes what is the young lad's name? is he coming to visit for your hand huh?"

What should I tell him? should I tell him that I've found the love of my life and that she makes me happy and see if he clicks on? I think I should.

"Well not quite yet but I've found someone gorgeous, and she is the love of my life" I sit there anxiously waiting for a reply. "She? Patience. what have you got yourself in to, This is the sort of thing that I didn't want you to do, this is why I wanted you to stay home!" I stand up and put my hand on his shoulder "Dad calm down, you seem breathless," "Leave, leave me alone for a while patience. I've had your old room made up, Peter will take your luggage up." I turn around with my head looking down at my shoes twiddling my thumbs.

I made a mistake. My father now hates me, how would I make amends from this. I just confessed my love for a woman, I thought he would have understood the power of love he was still so madly in love with mother even when they had their complications. Even at the camp, their love was inseparable all our love was. How I miss my beloved sister, she would understand I believe she would anyway. She wouldn't have diagnosed it as a disease at least, she would try and understand me and Delia's point of view. I must be getting to sleep, I have a hard day tomorrow looking after him, and sorting this argument out.

———————————————————————————

There is a knocking early hours of the morning at my door. I pretend to sleep as my father shuffles and sits on my bed and whispers "Patience, I am so very sorry for my reaction. Do whatever you please... If it makes you happy that is, she is a very lucky woman whoever she is and she better look after my baby girl" He kisses me on the forehead "Goodnight pats, I love you my darling." A tear fell from my eye as he shuffles away again.
Did my father just approve of Delia? I thought he would before that ridiculous fight we had. But I didn't after that he has never apologised to me... Maybe when I was unconscious but I don't know.