Chapter 6- Bruised

We both head for one of the hallways. I hear the door open behind us and speed up. We hit a spiral staircase and before I can say anything Redding is darting up it. I trip halfway up and slam my knee on one of the stone steps, but Redding helps me up and hoists me into his arms before we can get caught.

   Finally, the air starts to thin and we come out on what I guess is a tower. The only thing I can register is how far up we are—it must be at least two hundred feet!

   “I think we lost him,” Redding breathes, and for the first time I realize he’s exhausted. I struggle out of his grip and land on my good leg, relieving him of my weight. I carefully hobble over to the side of the stone tower and lean against it for support.

   “Crap,” I breathe. Most of the skin covering my knee has been ripped up, and a good amount of blood has begun to surface. I get dizzy just looking at it and have to sit down.

   “Here,” Redding says, moving to help me. Instinctively, I jerk my leg away from him, causing a good amount of pain.

   I wince and say, “No, please—don’t.”

   “I can help,” Redding says earnestly.

   Hesitantly, I relax and slide my leg back toward him. Redding reaches up and rips the sleeve off his shirt. Before I can protest he has it wrapped around my leg. Then he reaches in his pocket and pulls out something round. He tosses it to me and says, “Eat that.”

   It’s a peach.

   “Thanks,” I say, impressed.

   Redding smiles. “No problem. I’ve got tons of those from the cart.”

   “No, thank you for helping me,” I say. “For wrapping my knee, carrying me up the stairs, and… for following me.”

   Redding’s cheeks glow bright red. “N-no problem,” he stumbles. Then he says, “But seriously, eat the peach.”

   I laugh and take a bite out of the fruit. Juice runs down my neck but I don’t care. The peach tastes amazing.

   “Ah, man, you’ve got to see this,” Redding comments, leaning out one of the towers windows. I set the peach on the windowsill and pull myself up, being careful not to put too much weight onto my injured leg. After hobbling over to Redding I lean out the window and gaze down at what must be the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen.

   Rome is ignited. The sun has hardly begun to set, but already the streets are alive with action. There are Royals in cars and hover boards and exquisite dresses, all traveling south. That must be where the night life is, closer to the Coliseum.  Between the streets there are lit up holographic city maps, newly renovated fountains that pour golden water, and enough beautiful architecture to spend hours gazing at. I can hardly force myself to look away when Redding begins to talk again.

   “Rufinus was the one who told me about the Royals’ wings.”

   I give Redding a suspicious glance. “You know… he’s not the most fit man. Are you sure he didn’t make the whole thing up to you so he wouldn’t feel so bad about not being able to fly?”

   “Rufinus doesn’t even have wings. He’s a reject.”

   “Then how did he buy you?”

   Redding shrugs. “He makes a lot of money off his cart. People like fruit.”

   “Well… then why was he talking about us like he was a Royal to Luke the other day?”

   “He’s lived in Royal country since he was three. Poor kid got picked to come here and was scared to death by the way they treated him. His master was horrible, I heard, but apparently he had a daughter. She was married, and was trying to… well… you know… make a family.”