Chapter 7: Real love

It was 10 in the morning, I woke up, I got dressed and went to work. Everything was normal, there was no emergency, there had hardly been any while I was working there.
Suddenly I started hearing an ambulance, it seemed to record. I ran out the door and they were taking out a body on a stretcher. It was a familiar face, I could barely recognize it because it had a lot of blood and wounds. They pulled the stretcher closer and I saw it was ... it was Shawn! I felt as if I had been shot, I felt weak and I could hardly think straight. My partner told me that it had been due to a car accident. I started to whisper things while my boss and I took the body to the operating room: "Shawn, honey you're going to get well" "I'm here, everything will be fine" "Nothing will happen to you" "I love you"

We arrived at the operating room and I got inside as an assistant, his life also depended on me and I couldn't let the love of my life die because of me.

I did everything my boss told me, everything seemed to go well, when suddenly something started to go wrong, the heart was starting to stop and we had to resort to resuscitation. He didn't answer, and I kept whispering things to him. Finally something was starting to go well, the heart was still beating normally, I felt hope.

The operation was over, the organs were stable and the heart was still beating. I spent the rest of the day holding his hand.
It was ten o'clock and his girlfriend arrived so I had to move away and behave like a professional. She was crying and didn't know how to comfort herself.

She sat next to him and she wanted to hug him but  I told her she couldn't because he was very weak. I spend the night at his side and I kept thinking about that kiss, I felt guilty, was it my fault? I don't know...She was very much in love with him, but ... was he in love with her?