Lifeguard Duty

"Hey. How's your head?" Jordan placed a hand on Courtney's shoulder when she came across her in the hallway before homeroom. It was the day after the accident.

"It's okay." Courtney replied. "A little sore, but in a few days it'll be like nothing ever happened." She smiled at Jordan, and the taller girl returned her smile.

"Yeah, shit, I heard what happened." Vicky told Courtney. "I wouldn't even be at school today after something like that happened to me."

"It's really not that bad. I'm just a little bit bruised." Courtney replied to Vicky with a reassuring smile. "The whole school's probably heard what happened by now." Everyone nodded. "People I don't even know have been asking me if I'm okay."

"Well if you think about it that's a good thing." Robin stated. "It shows our school's got people who actually give a shit."

"True." Everyone agreed. The school had a good reputation for having students who actually gave two shits about their fellow students.

"You gonna come watch us smash Crawford tomorrow night?" Robin asked Courtney and her friends. With all the commotion about Courtney's accident, it was easy to forget that it was Thursday, and there was an important girls' soccer game happening the following day.

Courtney thought that was a great idea. She felt like she owed Jordan for saving her life the previous day, and a girls' soccer game where the A team was playing was bound to be an exciting one.

"What do you think, guys," She asked Danielle, Lauren and Megan, who were standing with her. "You feel like watching a soccer game tomorrow?"

The three of them agreed, saying it would be extremely satisfying to watch the Crawford team get beaten for the second time in one year.

"And if they try to steal your phones again we'll make sure we're guarding your stuff." Megan smiled sweetly at Robin, who smiled back with a slight blush.

"Great!" Jordan said excitedly and smiled widely at Courtney. "With you guys there it's something to really look forward to." The shorter girl blushed at Jordan's words.

The bell rang, and students began speeding to their lockers to get their stuff. Suddenly a voice came over the loudspeaker.

"Please will the school meet in the auditorium." The voice said. It was an assembly. It happened every two weeks at Bayport High.

The students and teachers filed into the auditorium that was lit up by the natural light outside. They stood in front of their seats, waiting for the principal to address them.

Mr Leech, the principle, entered with the deputy principal, Mrs Vermeulen. Mr Leech stood in front of the podium and Mrs Vermeulen stood beside him.

"Good morning, school." Mr Leech spoke into the microphone in front of him. He was slightly short and always wore a suit, even if it was 40° outside (I'm from South Africa and we use °C here :D)

"Morning, sir." The school greeted the principal in a murmer.

"Why don't you take a seat." The students sat on their chairs and watched Mr Leech on the stage as he placed a thin stack of papers on the podium.

"As most of you already know, the A team soccer girls are playing their game against Crawford tomorrow night. They will be playing on our school's main field at 5:30. If you wish to support the girls you are most welcome to. There will be snacks available in the cafeteria during the game." Mr Leech spoke into the microphone and every student watched and listened.

"Now we come to the best part of our assembly, some awards." Mr Leech announced as Mrs Vermeulen retrieved a stack of certificates from a table behind him.