Peris' view

There was a person at the counter, talking to the clerk when I walked in the store. The shopper was rather handsome, one might say, but not as handsome as I was. Well I did have help. I darted down an isle before he could notice me. I was lucky, the isle I went down had a small collection of beauty products; beeswax for chapped lips, stain and combs for hair, and a mirror. I looked into the mirror and admired myself. I felt a twinge of pain as I traced the scars left by my many surgeries. I couldn’t see any trace of my former self, and that was precisely what I wanted. Alko was dead, and I, Peris, rose in his place. It doesn’t matter that I’m crazy; sanity is relative. All that matters is that I am handsome. They said that it was my last surgery that is what caused me to go insane. Well, that’s what they get when they try to remove the emotions of sadness and pity. But at least it helped in my line of work. Us Hunters aren’t supposed to feel anything. Even though I am the youngest one ever, I have the most kills on my record; with my parents at the top of the list.

I heard the door open again as the person at the counter left.

I went over to their clothing isle and placed several purple shirts in my bag, and then I saw something which caught my eye: a pair of purple tinted glasses. I placed them in a bag with the rest of my things and went to the counter. 

That’s odd… I thought, I would have sworn the clerk was a female… Oh well.

I grabbed two apples and placed them on the counter. The clerk seemed lost in thought.

I snapped my fingers. "Hello, Mooncalf? I would like to make a purchase."

"Umm, what?” He said. His breath smelled of cinnamon. “Oh, yeah... An apple: Here you go." 

He handed me an empty brown paper bag.

"Thanks, I guess." I say with a puzzled look across my face.

 I take the bag and walk outside. I saw two people handing food out to the beggars. One of them was the handsome boy from inside. He looked up at me and gave me a smile. I could almost swear that I recognize that face. A confused look crossed his face as if he recognized me also. Behind them, I a little girl who was cast aside from the rest of the group. I walked up to her and dropped an apple at her feet.

 "Thank you." she said, her eyes widening. 

"It's nothing. Think of it as a gift." I say as I walk away. 

I pulled the other apple from my bag and took my knife out of the sheath and carved words on the apple. I walked down the road until I was out of sight of the beggars and the store. I put the knife up and I started running in the woods. I saw a girl looking up at a person in a tree. Before they noticed me, I hid behind another tree.

 "...Shadow.” I heard the boy say. They weren’t my targets, so I turned around and walked off down the road.