Chapter Fourteen

Chapter fourteen

The kingdom of Katolis stretches hundreds of miles in every direction, as far as the eye can see. Fluffy white clouds float idly through the baby blue sky, casting patches of shade on to the picture-perfect scenery and, for a moment, Cal feels completely detached from all his emotions; free to drift peacefully through the sky.

The roof is cool to the touch, but the sun warms his skin and he doesn't mind the chilly breezes that come with being up so high. Leaning into the slope of the roof tiles he tries to lose himself in the crystal-clear sky, but his vision blurs and he's shaken from his pleasant reverie with thoughts of her. Normally, his daydreams were filled with the beautiful Moonshadow elf, but ever since this morning, his mind continues to replay the moment she broke his heart.

What did I do wrong? Last night, she tells me she loves me, and now she can't stand me. He wracks his brain for anything he might have done to hurt her but comes up blank.

His eyes hurt from holding back tears and a dull ache emanating from his temples is just the precursor to one hell of a migraine. Blocking out the bright sunlight with his forearm, he sighs, why do women have to be so complicated?

-TDP-

"Found it!" Claudia cries into the seemingly empty library, startling Rayla from her boredom-induced slumber.

Disorientated, she rolls over and off the top of the bookshelf, to the floor, knocking the wind out of her chest upon impact. Claudia pushes back from the table, standing quickly and making a grab for the hardback, leather-bound textbook, but Rayla recovers quickly and snatches it from her grasp, dancing out of her reach.

"Don't-," she tries to stop her from reading the text, unprepared to share her discovery just yet.

"Xadian Mystic Arts; The Soul Tree," Rayla reads aloud. Her eyes scan the page and Claudia can see the cogs in her mind turn. "Claudia, this is brilliant!"

Claudia knows the solution is genius, but she wanted Rayla to be in the right state of mind before she found out, otherwise she might make a rash decision; emotion clouding her judgement.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she asks, raising an eyebrow to subtlety express her scepticism.

Rayla's reply is dangerously decisive. "Absolutely!"

"You know Callum will never agree-," both girls know him well enough to be certain he would have strong objections to this solution.

"He trusts me," Rayla tells her, with finality.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed that chapter and if you did, don't be a silent reader! Thanks to my beta midnightpansy!

Click here to follow me: koalala11

PLEASE VOTE!