Bleeding - Chapter Thirty

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

Kakashi stood unchanging. His focus didn't shift as the minutes turned to hours, staring at the newly chiselled name on the headstone by his feet. The wind bit into his reddening skin, numbing his fingers and toes. He couldn't force himself away, even as the sun rose past the horizon, hovering overtop the barren trees surrounding the cemetery.

He felt as someone appeared beside him.

"I'll be one minute," Kakashi's hallow voice broke the silence.

Genma's eyes softened, falling to the headstone. He swallowed before nodding. No words felt right.

Kakashi sensed as he was once again left alone.

He bent down and placed a rectangular box beside the gravestone. His lips wobbled into a smile, 'Happy birthday, Hinata.'

With a final glance he began walking towards the Hokage Tower. He gradually picked up his speed as he jumped up to the icy rooftops. His hand reached for the book in his kunai pouch. His hand twitched back. He stuffed his fist into his pocket.

Pushing open the door to the Hokage's office, all of the eyes in the filled room shifted to him as hushed conversations silenced.

Kakashi met Tsunade's empty eyes. He walked to the side of the room and leaned against the wall. His muscles clenched as Gai walked up to him and placed what was supposed to be a comforting hand on his shoulder. It made his skin crawl, stirring the latent anger in his gut.

Tsunade's focus glazed over as she stared at Kakashi. She shifted in her seat, "Alright, we can start."

The active Jōnin of Konoha waited with bated breaths as their Hokage continued to sit in silence.

Jiraiya put his hand on Tsunade's shoulder, giving a comforting squeeze.

Tsunade swallowed, "You all know of the loss we suffered last week. You've undoubtedly heard rumours circulating throughout the village of the circumstances." Her voice droned as if reading a practiced script, "While heading to Suna for our annual trade meeting last week our team was ambushed by the Akatsuki. We aren't sure of their objective, whether it was Naruto or," she stopped.

The shinobi began to murmur amongst each other as another silence followed.

Jiraiya cleared his throat with darkening eyes.

Everyone quieted.

Tsunade brought herself into focus, "If they wanted Naruto we should be expecting another attack soon. Shikaku, I want you to work with our village guards and defence unit. We need a way to prepare for Tobi's space-time ninjutsu." Killer intent seeped into the air, "I don't want that rogue in my village."

Shikaku nodded his head, "Of course, Hokage-sama." He shifted on his feet, his eyes pulling away. "Um," he cleared his throat, "It would be helpful if I could see the Rabbit's fūinjutsu-"

"Hinata's."

The room froze.

"Hinata's fūinjutsu," Kakashi corrected. He knew everyone in here had already put it together. There was no point in pretences. She deserved to have her name remembered.

Shikaku nodded, "Hinata's fūinjutsu. It's the only known jutsu to negate a Kekkei Genkai. We could apply it to a larger scale."

Feeling Tsunade's muscles tensing under his hand, Jiraiya spoke up despite the own sinking in his chest, "It wouldn't work. I can meet with you later to go over other options."