Lesson Six - Instead of Boring School- related Words

So as the title said, instead of booooring school related words I am teaching you the basics of the 'speach language' and two verbs, very alike in Finland but different meanings.

So, the speech language' as we finns call it.

Basically Finnish has two languages: the speech language', which is the one we speak with, and the 'book language', which is the one official books are written with and weird people (like me) write with. I even write my diary with the 'book language' even if I speak with the 'speach language'. They differ only very slightly, but if someone decided to visit Finland and tries to listen to a Finn speaking, he/she wouldn't understand a word because they sound pretty different. We would understand you, because you're speaking the 'book language' which is usually taught to people studying finnish, like us Finns as well, and its still finnish.

But either way, its better if you knew how to speak the speach language.

So I'm teaching you the basics.

Numbers 1-19

1 - Yy / Yks

2 - Kaa / Kaks

3 - Koo / Kolme

4 - Nee / Neljä

5 - Vii / Viis

6 - Kuu /Kuus

7 - Sei / Seittemä

8 - Kasi / Kaheksa

9 - Ysi / Yheksä

10 - Kymppi /Kymmene

11 - Yyto / Ykstoist

12 - Kaato / Kakstoist

13 - Kooto / Kolmetoist

14 - Neeto / Neljätoist

15 - Viito / Viistoist

16 - Kuuto / Kuustoist

17 - Seito / Seittemätoist

18 - Kasito / Kaheksatoist

19 - Ysito / Yheksätoist

Speach language is a lazy version of the book language. If you compare these numbers to to ones on lesson... 2? I don't know, anyway, the 'official' numbers, you can see we take a lot of letters away. These are ways we count, for example playing hide and seek. As you can see, we have plenty of ways to count, and now you know only three of them. Finland's got a lot of brogues (I just googled that :D) and each if them count differently. I count in these two ways I just showed. I think these are the most ones used.

If pronouns are like I, you, he/she, we, you, they then that's what we're learning next.

Pronouns (maybe?)

Mä / mie

Sä / sie

Se

Okay guys, the truth is that se is a bit rude. It translates as it. But nobody gets mad if you call him/her se, because that's what everyone does - except when you speak to a mother about her children. Then you use hän. My mum does this and I find it weird. Makes me confused.

Anyways....

Me

Te

Ne

Ne is plural for se. But this we use anytime. We never use he. Unless we're being sarcastic.

Now, the

Two verbs

To be - olla

kirjakieli - book language

minä olen - I am

sinä olet - you are

hän on - he/she is

me olemme - we are

te olette - you are (plural)

he ovat - they are

-

puhekieli - speech language

mä oon - I am

sä oot - you are

se on - it is

me ollaan (ollaan is a passive) - we are

te ootte - you are (plural)

ne on - they are

~~~~

to have - olla, omistaa

kirjakieli - book language

minulla on - I have

sinulla on - you have

hänellä on - he/she has

meillä on - we have

teillä on - you have (plural)

heillä on - they have

puhekieli - speach language

mul/mulla on - I have

sul/sulla on - you have

sil/sillä on - it has

meil on - we have

teil on - you have (plural)

niil on - they have

Well isn't this just confusing. I hope it helped, though.

I'm giving you homework!

Comment here the answer in finnish...

Mikä nimesi on? (speach language Mikä sun nimi on?)

your answer...

(native speakers can skip this homework)

No need to write the real answer. If you can, try not to cheat and check it from Lesson One - Basics.

Have a nice day!

Salome