CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Narrator

"I don't know what to tell you, because the truth is...we don't have time to dwell on the passed." Alexander said sighing. "A long time ago, Elijah told us something...something he never thought he'd be able to reveal and our reaction..." He shook his head. "It wasn't favourable... The thing about him...he's powerful, more powerful than anyone alive because he isn't just a caster...he's a hybrid."

"Hybrid?"

"His mother was a caster...his father...a dragon shifter."

"Oh..." Theodore frowned then.

"Specifically... He is a dragon Lord, high ranked and special because he can turn into a full blown dragon and still turn back...not something very common among dragon shifters."

"But...how come...just noe?"

"He hates himself for being what hr is. He hates his father so much....that turning seems like accepting the man."

"You know...your talking like he's probably still alive." Alexander pursed his lips.

"It doesn't matter...right now...what you need to understand is that we don't have much time." Alexander locked eyes with Theodore. "Those scars we have..." He touched the back of his neck where the small incision was, where it had tingled when Theodore had touched his own scar and said the words. "They are more for just sending distress signals."

Everyone of them touched the backs of their necks and looked at one another.

"They bonded us to Elijah's life...he dies...we go down with him."

"What? What are you saying!? That isn't possible."

"Dragon shifters are hard to kill...they always ended their own lives...always." Alexander said ignoring the boy. "He had an eternal flame as all his kind do and that is why he can live for thousands of years. We are alive, because he is..."

"That is a lot to take in..." Gabriel confessed looking at the ground.

"Don't take too long to process." Alexander warned. "In a few days, that door to Sanctum will open and it will only be, so you can say goodbye... and when you do," his eyes were on Theodore. "Be sure you have given your families enough love." He turned away from them then.

"What do you mean?"

"He's dying..." Therefore whispered as Alexander paused and turned his head.

"And so are we." Alexander drew his hand outwards and a door opened into an alleyway full of the homeless and then he was gone.

Gabriel

It never occurred to me how much I loved living. Breathing the fresh air of the world, being surrounded by family, by friends, until now.

I clutched onto Dante's shirt and cried, Harkin on my lap, holding me.

"I don't want to go...." I whimpered and Dante's hold tightened.

"We don't want that either," he gave my hair a sweet kiss and I looked up at him with red eyes and sniff.

"What are we going to do?" I said and groaned before lifting my shirt sleeve. A spot of black was spreading all over my skin then and I just knew it was linked to how the Caster's council, Theodore, Xavier, Linus, Alexander and myself were dying because Elijah was dying.