Chapter Three

'There's a decent few alleyways on the way so we'll stick to those, stay quiet'

'We don't even know what it's like out there' I whispered, trying my level best to ignore the violent churning in my stomach. Of course I was determined, but petrified didn't touch the sides as to how I was feeling right now. We could be walking out into dead silence with bodies lining the streets, or crossing the path of those things. People. Though I really didn't believe 'people' was the right word for those demons.

'I know, but we're gonna have to adapt pretty quickly' he paused, 'Amelia, I know I've said, but please let me go collect him for y-'

'No' I replied sternly, 'You're not going out there alone. If you won't let me, I won't let you.'.

I finished tying my shoelaces as Laura caught my eye. She'd paled considerably and once again she was scratching at her arms till it had finally heartbreakingly dawned on me that it wasn't a nervous habit or tick, but a symptom. I could feel my lip quivering slightly as I took her in, bundled under a coat tapping away on her phone. I knew her mother wasn't answering, and I knew that wasn't the only reason she was sobbing. When I took a step towards her, David's arm shot out and halted me. Guilt lined every crease in his face.

'Amelia, you can't...' he said softly, voice cracking. And in that moment, I wondered if I had ever been a truly good friend to Laura, because I paused for only a second or two before nodding. We'd never been crazy close, a few jokes here and there, a bit of workplace banter, the odd party, but I still owed her more than being scared to approach her, to touch her.

'We showed you the special knock' I addressed everyone in the back room who were all spread out from one another, keeping feet of space between them.

'We'll let you straight back in' Deano said, pulling his girlfriend close to him. They were the only two who could manage to touch.

'Unless you're one of them' bucket man added, looking me dead in the eyes, 'I know you understand'.

I nodded.

'Course'.

'Keep an eye on the TV, we need to keep up to date' David said, 'Laura, text us if anything changes'.

She nodded slightly, lifting a hand to wave as we reached for the door we'd cleared. David took a long look at me, shaking his head.

'Please stay here'.

'Don't be boring, I wanna see the zombies' I laughed softly, aiming an elbow at his ribs. It took a second before he laughed properly and I joined him, relief flooding my body at the sensation of pretending, just for a second. There were tears filling my eyes and fear was pinching at every nerve inside me but I wasn't alone.