.bébé

"i didn't want the baby."

"what do you mean you didn't want the baby?!" carter yelled as they fought in their office, his eyes filled with water in anger as he stood up from his chair.

it wasn't unusual to be fighting as they grew accustomed to it over the years.

and they did love each other, they did but it wasn't the same adoration they had years ago as they grew in their marriage then separating individually.

they had different goals, what they considered to be happiness, and what they considered successful.

but yet they put a mask over their face to lie to everyone and pretend everything was okay. it felt like they were even lying to themselves.

however, it was like a silent agreement to each other; no signature needed.

look good for the business; fake a smile for the media.

chin up. small smile. wave.

but it was coming harder and harder to by the day.

they had different goals

and this was one of them.

"you know that I've never wanted a baby, carter. I have no desire for one, we've talked about this," elisabeth said with a stern and quiet voice, trying to maintain the anger she was feeling.

she learned,

she had to over the years.

a baby was never the plan- or it was sort of maybe the plan because carter always desired one while elisabeth couldn't even stand the sound of one let alone imagining one coming out of her.

her plan was to always be successful- successful in business as it was her life.

the company was all she could focus on but her heart slightly ached as she saw the hope leave carters eyes and sadness replacing them.

"well you know I did, lis." he rubbed his face in frustration as he tried to think of all the possibilities to move on from this.

but he couldn't.

"for years- even before we got married, i told you i never saw kids in my future and yet you married me anyways," she said as she walked closer to him, feeling a dull ache. "it's not fair for you to marry me thinking that you'd just expect me to change my mind."

"well you can't expect me to change mine, alright!" he tried to look at her but he just couldn't, he could only see her as someone that gave him no chance of giving him children. "god, elisabeth, it's like we didn't even get a chance to discuss any of this. You just did your own thing just like you always do."

"we did discuss this and we didn't agree but i was scared... and i-i didn't want it, carter," she said, her voice cracking a bit when she saw a tear leave his eye. "i love you, i do but i couldn't be pregnant, i couldn't love it like you would've wanted me to."

elisabeth walked a little closer to him, trying to reach out to comfort him but he only flinched as he moved back, hiding his face from her.

"all i see you now is someone that terminated our child," he mumbled, his voice on the verge of shaking but he managed to control it. "i don't want to be near you- i don't even want to look at you."

"carter..." she started but there was a sudden knock on the door from their secretary both of them drying their faces and putting on their cheery voices.

chin up. small smile.

"come in," carter said to the secretary; olivia, letting them know they had a meeting in about fifteen minutes before leaving.

"can we talk about this tonight?" she asked quietly because although they had multiple fights that happened every so often, she didn't want to leave this one unfinished as this could determine their already damaged relationship.

but she didn't think she needed an answer when Carter stared at her with a void expression, his jaw chiseled, his avoiding her's.

"I don't think there's going to be a tonight," he said as he opened the door, slamming it behind him causing her to flinch.

she quickly dried her face which was wet with a few tears before putting on the mask that she used to fool everyone

including herself.

a.n// I'm so excited for this story!! The chapters are going to be short like this (about 700-1000 words per chapter) but get ready for cuteness and drama :)