Chapter Thirteen

"The demoniacs have torn through many of the outlying towns, and are advancing further into the city. We need reinforcements." The Elven King demanded. King Alik slammed his hand down upon the table.

"I have an official royal decree here that each kingdom must supply soldiers to hold back the demoniac attack. The Caliburn stones have weakened significantly and the wards are not strong enough as they once were. I suggest every Kingdom to watch its borders for a possible demoniac attack as well, there's no clue where they will strike next."

"What about the Caliburn stones? Isn't there a search group?" The Faylinn Queen asked, and the King sighed.

"Yes. There is, they have a lead and are pursuing it now."

"What about the Icer? Shouldn't her presence here at the palace been keeping the stones in check?" Alatar's King questioned, and the rest of Counsel nodded their heads, murmured agreements reaching the King's ears. The King scowled. He did not wish to tell them that the Icer was no longer in the palace. He hated seeming weak in front of them. He was supposed to be a leader, and mistakes could not be made in this line of work, he knew that.

"She has become part of a different search party." The King admitted, and the room gasped.

"We were there when you firmly told her no!"

"Are you saying she snuck out of the palace?"

"You can't even keep track of the people in your palace, how do you think you are fit to handle the tracking of the stone?"

"That search party won't do a blasted thing. You're letting them search for it?"

"Who is even part of this search party?"

The King's hands balled into fists as he was bombarded with questions. He chose to answer only one. He looked at the Briar Queen, the one who asked the simple question. Who. Who was all included in the search party; sometimes Alik really dreaded Counsel meetings. It made him question whether the Goddess had been right choosing him to lead Asonia.

"The two assassins, the Icer, and my own son and daughter." He grimaced, waiting for the onslaught of voices. But they were silent. The entire room was silent.

"We are doomed. Even the Goddess cannot help us now." The Ethereal King muttered, and the King faced them all.

"We are not doomed. Not if we work together. We must hold the demoniacs back and not let them cross into any more borders. Asonia is our world, and we mustn't let it be overcome. Now leave, and by the day after tomorrow I expect your soldiers to be in Erline to hold the front. May the Goddess's wisdom and guidance assist you." The King left the room and stalked across the hall. Servants rushed to follow him.

"Prepare my bath. And find the Queen, tell her I wish to speak to her." He demanded, and a couple servants vanished from his side, scurrying off to do their tasks. The King looked at the last servant next to him.

"You, go fetch some wine from the cellar. I have a dreadful headache." And with that the King was alone. He thought as he walked. He had let things get far out of hand. The stones were powerful, so powerful and able to hold the force field together and he was lost on its capabilities. Sometimes he did not know if he was fit to be King. When times like these came about, when he was called to do questionable things and make tough decisions was his most frustrating time. He knew this would happen, he could not run a peaceful land forever. There would always be people trying to destroy everything he had built, everything that he had made. The King gripped his staff tighter, he could not let them win. Not this time. The Goddess had chosen him for a reason, and he would uphold that honor until last breath.