Chapter 40

{Thanks for 20k reads and thank you to everyone who have read this story all the way through. The sequel is coming in 2019 but until then I have a semi new story called Its So Romantic In Paris out now. Enjoy the last chapter of Step Sisters}

"Do we really have to go home?" Auggie asks as we are driving to the airport.

"Yes we do bubba. You have to go back to school next week" Ben says.

"I can stay here and go to school in Florida and I would even be in Danielle's school" Auggie says.

"Maybe next year Auggie" Ben says.

It was Auggie, Rowan and I in the back seat with my mom driving and Ben in the passengers seat. Rowan was in the middle of the two of us. She had her head on my shoulder and I loved every second of it. She kept saying that she was really tired every two seconds just so our parents wouldn't expect anything.

Once we get to the airport they get there bags from the trunk of the car and we walk into the airport. They weren't going to let my mom and I walk them down to the terminal so we had to say goodbye right here.

This was it. Our last seconds as a couple.

Auggie went first to say goodbye. He gave my mom a really big hug and said thank you and that he is going to miss her. My mom looked like she was going to start crying. That was her son for the past two months after all.

He then gives me a hug and whispers in my ear "You convince your mom to let us live with her and I'll convince my dad to move. Sound like a plan?" He asks.

"Sounds like a great plan" I say and laugh.

I give him a kiss on the top of the head and he went over to the security machines.

Next was Ben. He said bye to me first.

He gave me and hug and said bye and also said thanks for sharing my house all summer. For some reason they think I didn't like them staying with us. In reality, it was my favorite summer.

Then he said bye to my mom. I look to Rowan and we make eye contact. I go up to her. She smiles at me and just pulls me into a really tight hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much" She says with her voice cracking.

"I'm going to miss you too" I say.

And that's all we needed to say.

After a few more seconds she lets go and looks at me in the eyes and smiles. I could see the tears in her eyes. Yeah, she's leaving somewhere she loves but it's also our break up.

She gives me a kiss on the cheek and the goes over to my mom. Ben went over to Auggie at security.

"Thanks for being my replacement mom these past few weeks" Rowan says kinda nervously while looking at the ground.

"You don't have to thank me." My mom says.

"I know but thank you" She says.

They hug and then Rowan goes with her family. We watch them until we can't see them anymore. They waved to us before that though.

My mom and I start walking through the airport back to the car.

"Are you sad to see them leave" She asks.

"Yeah" I say with a sigh.

"Aww honey" She says and stops and gives me a hug. "We'll see them again soon" She says.

"I know" I say and we continue walking with her arm around me.

Best summer ever.