The Wallflower

Plot
The Wallflower is about a girl named Sunako who was called ugly by the first and only person to whom she confessed her love. This incident sparks a life change, and as a result Sunako shuns all forms of beauty, both in herself as well as in life. Concerned by her change for the worst, Sunako's aunt, the owner of a huge mansion where four very handsome high school students live (for free), demands the boys to transform her niece into the "perfect lady," and in return they will be able to continue living there for free. They are given a deadline and if they are unable to uphold their deal then they would have to either pay a lump sum of cash or vacate the premises.

While the four of them manage to make Sunako physically beautiful enough to become a lady, the problem lies with her attitude and interests (which Sunako has no intention of changing). Up until the most recent release in the story, they manage to convince Sunako's aunt that her niece is indeed a lady befitting the mansion in which they live (and prevent the rent from skyrocketing to triple the required amount). However, in reality Sunako has not changed at all. Sunako has the tendency to spurt out in a nose bleed when seen by bright creatures, especially around Kyohei.

It is a humorous tale following Sunako and the four boys through unusual and ridiculous situations where Sunako is confronted with many unwanted experiences of being a lady, while also channeling the idea of self and beauty.

Genre
Romantic Comedy, Shoujo

Episodes
25

Dubbed
Yes

👫👫Main Characters👫👫

Sunako Nakahara

-The main female protagonist of the series

-She has an obsession with darkness and a morbid fascination with blood, horror movies, and other similarly dark things

-After being rejected by her first love, she decided to abandon her femininity and become isolated from the world

-She hates excessive light exposure and also does poorly in hot weather, though the latter is because she grew up in northern Japan

-While she suffers from severely low self-esteem, she is actually quite beautiful (most of her physical imperfections are a result of her self-imposed isolation from the world) and is a frighteningly tough fighter, being able to lift someone twice her size with one hand

-She is also surprisingly wise for someone her age and will give good advice to her friends (even if she doesn't realize it)

-She is shown to be quite blunt saying what is on her mind with no hesitation, unless she is asking the "radiant beings" for a favor

-She refers to beautiful people as "creatures of light" and "ugly" people, such as herself, as "creatures of darkness"

-Whenever she sees a "creature of light", she gets nosebleeds and they're usually severe when she sees Kyohei