22: Thank You

The family answered immediately, and I guessed that Britton had warned them that we were coming. Behind the husband and wife, who both wore matching undereye circles, were three kids under the age of ten. Two boys with cornsilk hair and a thin little girl in a princess dress two sizes too big. It wasn't hard to guess which of them was sick.
At the sight of the puppies all three kids lit up like Christmas Trees. The wiggly dachshund pulled against his leash so hard that I let go in surprise. His long, little body trotted over to the kids and immediately began giving them kisses. They little girl giggle as she stroked his sleek fur and he pawed at her hands whenever she stopped.
For a few minutes we said nothing. We just watched the children's delight and listened to their joy. Then the parents turned to Britton. The father clasped his hand and thanked him. The woman pulled him into a hug and told him he was heaven sent. Britton graciously accepted their thanks. He promised that it was no trouble and that he was glad he could help them.
Turning to me, the mother scooped me into an embrace. Nevermind that we had never been introduced. She told me how glad she was that I could get a puppy for her little kids. She said that I was an angel walking the earth. When she pulled away, both of us had misty eyes. I couldn't help it. She was like all the people in Britton's life. Full to the brim with love and then some.
The man was satisfied with a firm handshake and eyes that said more than words.
We left them with the little dachshund puppy, who the kids had quickly dubbed Spike. Britton waved at the couple and promised to keep them in his prayers. Even though it had been years since I prayed or went to Mass, I told them the same thing. It was hard not to when they were so happy with so little.
It was such a contrast from my life. From my family.
Without discussion Britton and I piled into his car once again and headed to JJ's house. She lived in one of the modern apartments at the heart of the city. It wasn't much bigger than Britton's but the elevator had automatic doors, so I considered it a big improvement.
Because it was already getting late and we had another stop, our visit wasn't long.
After passing over the german shepherd mix and agreeing that Rutherford was a wonderful name for such a kind looking dog, JJ sent Britton to bring the car around for me. As was custom when being ordered around by JJ, he didn't argue.
"Someone's got to look after that border collie anyway," he said as he left with that big, dopey smile he had been wearing since we picked up the first dog.
JJ smiled back at him until he left the apartment before turning to me with urgency in her eyes. "Did he explain? Oh, he better have or I'm going to-"
I cut her off before she could finish what I'm sure was going to be a stellar threat. "He told me everything."
"Everything?"
"He told me about meeting Lylla at the ballet and proposing. Then she gave the ring back because she fell out of love with him."
"Did he tell you it was just over this last Christmas?"
I repeated myself to emphasize my point. "Britton told me everything." And I believed that. I did think he was hiding some deep dark secret. I was sure that he hadn't twisted the truth or told me lies just to get me to stop asking. Because that's not how Britton worked. If he was going to bear his heart and soul, he was going to be honest about it. "And I understand why he didn't tell me sooner. I wouldn't want to talk about that either."
"He didn't want to tell you because he's in love with you and feels guilty," JJ offered. I just gave her that look. The you don't know what you're talking about look. It was the way I looked at my mom when she was trying to explain new technology to me.
"That's a great theory, but he still seems pretty hung up on Lylla." I paused in the middle of my thought. "You actually think that he likes me?"
"Honey, he gave up a month of his life to help you finish your bucket list. If that's not love then I don't know what is."
It was bribery. That's what it was. "I thought that bit was a part of your act while we were ghost hunting."
"I'm not like Britton. I'm a terrible actress." She put one hand on my shoulder, the other was occupied scratching behind Rutherford's ear. "But trust me, Indi. I have known that boy since we were all wearing pull ups. He's a stubborn guy except when it comes to you. If he didn't want to tell you about Lylla, he wouldn't have. If he did, it's because he trusts you more than he trusts anyone else. I've never seen him like this before, not even with Lylla. Just don't break his heart, okay?"
Then she shoved me out of her apartment before I could respond or even comprehend what she told me. I was still stuck on what she said about Britton being stubborn. I thought back to the two weeks I had spent with him. He was a pushover if I'd ever seen one. With a few sweet words he caved to my will or was lenient even when we disagreed. The only time he had been typically stubborn was that first night at Mabel's.
He had been unwilling to leave until Mabel forced him out of the door. Even then he had spent the next morning drilling me and making sure I wasn't a young thief come to rob his grandma blind. I had chalked it up to him being protective of his grandma. And I was sure that was a factor in his behavior, but it could have also been deep seated stubbornness.
But that didn't mean he was in love with me.
Because Britton Schuster was definitely not in love with me. Not when he talked so fondly of Lylla and took me to the ballet the second night I saw him. That didn't read as someone who was over their ex.
I shook the thought from my head when I met him in front of JJ's building. We were down to one dog, just the old collie that had been booted into the back so I could sit up front like an adult again. This time it felt like there was no rush to deliver the dog. Even though we both knew that Mabel would be heading to bed soon, Britton took the long way to her house so we drove past the white temple and the Capitol building on the hill. We criss crossed through the avenues and marveled at the hypermodern homes sitting next to ancient Victorians.
We could see the TV playing through the front window of Mabel's home.
"Look, that's where we first met." He pointed to the doorstep. What a sight that must have been. Me with freshly dyed hair in a summer dress while snow piled outside. Him with his stupid sweater that I was beginning to miss.
"Look, that's where you first accused me of being a thief," I whispered when we walked into Mabel's house without knocking. He gave me a playful shove, careful to avoid the collie who was at my feet. I shoved him back and shushed him at the same time.
His grandma was half asleep on the couch while a rerun of I Love Lucy played on the television. At the sound of us entering she perked up. When she recognized us as friends and not home invaders she relaxed back into the sofa and patted the cushion next to her.
The collie accepted the invitation before Britton or I could move. The old dog jumped onto the couch and laid down with her head on Mabel's lap. Mabel cooed at the dog and pet the soft fur at the back of her head.
Britton tried to say something, probably a word of greeting, but Mabel shushed him just like I had earlier. She pointed at the sleeping dog and back at the door.
We knew better than to argue with Mabel, especially when we weren't allowed to talk in case we woke up the dog that had been sleeping for the past two hours in Britton's car. I blew a kiss at Mabel and she smiled. Britton mimed talking on the phone and she held up a thumbs up, telling him she got the message. He would call her in the morning, as he often did.
We walked through the front door and carefully shut it behind us.
Outside in the drizzle we could finally breathe normally. Neither of us felt like going back to the probably muggy apartment. Then we would have to sit in the cramped space and listen to the air conditioner push around the still warm air. Not to mention neither of us wanted to continue our work on the puzzle. It was still less than a quarter of the way done. Maybe because we kept avoiding work on it.
But the two of us were content to sit on the steps of Mabel's porch and watch as the storm swept across the valley.
Britton eventually broke the silence between rumbles of thunder. "Thanks."
I quirked an eyebrow at him. "For what?"
"You know for this. For everything." He gestured to the world like it was a gift I had personally made for him. "For listening and not being weird about it. For knowing dogs are the perfect distraction."
"Anytime, my friend." My voice hitched on the epitaph I bestowed upon him. Maybe it was the remnants of my conversation with JJ or maybe it was the fluttering of my heart when he sat this close to me, but friend didn't seem to cover whatever Britton was anymore. We sat leg to leg, knees pressed against each other on the steps of Minnie's porch while warm summer rain flooded the cement. "I can't promise that I won't be weird about it every once in a while, though."
"I would expect nothing less from the great Indiana Kline."
We stayed watching the lighting rage across the city. Rage might have been the wrong verb for the situation though. The lightning was brutal and the thunder rolled across the valley like a freight train, but the weather didn't look violent. It was beautiful.
And it was on that beautiful weather that I preferred to look rather than turn my full attention to Britton. Because I knew what I would see if I looked at him: A jawline that had once made him seem too young but that I was now accustomed to, smooth cheeks that had leaned into my touch, eyes that glowed in the sunset and probably in the lightning and that gave in to me too easily.
And if I saw those eyes I would want to do something that would ruin everything. Because sitting in the storm I wanted to kiss Britton. Or I wanted him to kiss me. Honestly, I didn't care how it happened as long as his lips were on mine. If I looked at him, it would be a repeat of that night on the roof, but this time I wouldn't be able to stop myself and Britton wouldn't stop me either.
This time I would be taking advantage of him.
"Indi?"
I kept staring at the thunderstorm even though the lightning was blinding. "Mhm?"
I felt the pads of his fingers brush a stray strand of blue behind my ear as he turned my attention to him. And those eyes. Those eyes.
He pulled me into a hug. His arms wrapped tight around my waist and mine twisted around his neck. I buried my face in the crook of his shoulder and held him tight. It wasn't a kiss, but it sent my mind reeling more than any kiss ever had before.
Britton's fingers dug into my shirt like his life depended on it. "Thank you."
Guilt weighed on me for my thoughts as I felt the chain around his neck that I had first seen the night we went to the ballet. Thinking about kissing him when he was in such a vulnerable state was selfish. I understood the brushed silver ring hanging off of it now. His wedding ring.
I would have to tell JJ that if Britton was in love with me he wouldn't be wearing the ring that Lylla should have exchanged with him on their wedding day. Not that I would tell her he still wore it around his neck. There were somethings she didn't need to know about him.
So I held Britton tight, bit my lip, and whispered back, "You're welcome."

In the original draft of this chapter did Indi and Britton kiss? You'll never know because I decided to go for the slow burn approach that I have a love/hate relationship with. You're welcome.
-m burton