Anchor

A/N: Whenever I get writer's block, it's generally because I have another story in my head. I just had to write this first but it's really short so I'll get back to my other fics now. As always, thanks to my amazing betas, midnightpansy and miss_echo_ for all their help. If you like this story then PLEASE VOTE!!!

Wally's POV:

Every second is a gift.

That used to be true.

I have no seconds left now. No minutes. No hours.

I used to be Wally West.

I used to be the fastest man alive.

Not anymore.

I'm part of The Speed Force now.

Part of an infinite energy.

I sacrificed everything to save my friends and the woman I love.

I don't regret it for a moment.

But this is it now, forever. I am no longer part of the world.

I'm just... gone.

-Somewhere Beyond The Speed of Light-

"Baywatch, you know you can't stay here. Don't you?" Artemis's voice is like silk.

She rests her head on my shoulder and I lean into the embrace, wrapping my arm around her waist.

"Are you crazy? Babe, this is the only place I want to be."

I gaze out at the aquamarine ocean, the setting sun bouncing off the waves and scattering into the sea.

She shuffles in the sand, leaning up to look me in the eye. Her reply is laced with her usual endearing condescension, "This isn't real. It's just an illusion."

"It's heaven," I tell her.

I know it isn't real. We haven't been to Mount Justice in years. Not since we quit the superhero gig.

"I'm not really here." The reminder makes me flush with guilt. I can't escape the fact that the real Artemis - my Artemis - isn't beside me.

I swallow the lump in my throat and slip my hand in hers, squeezing it tightly as if I could borrow her strength. She places a cool hand to my cheek, turning my head to look her in the eye.

"I'm waiting, Wally. I'm waiting for you to come home."

She sounds desperate, an emotion that has never suited my archer and her saddened face crushes any futile attempt to stave off the heartbreak.

"Even if I wanted to leave this place," - I gesture to the beautiful landscape surrounding us, then, the stunning woman next to me - "I can't get back," I say, defeated.

"Do what you've always done. You need to run Wall-man," she says, flicking me on the forehead. "Focus. Focus on your anchor - your unbreakable bond. Focus on me."

Pressing a kiss to her forehead, I whisper in her ear: "Artemis, I love you. You're everything to me."

"Don't tell me, tell her." She says, urging me to move on.

"When I get back, I'm going to marry you," I promise her.

She giggles melodically, "For a stunt like this, you owe me. Big time."

I need to leave; to get back to my world. "I won't keep you waiting, babe."

"Now, run! Run and don't look back."

I nod, pulling down the goggles that have just materialised on my head. My costume has replaced the worn, well-loved beach outfit I was wearing before. The red and yellow spandex suit, like a second skin.

And then, I run.