Friendship

I skipped the rest of my lessons to look for Hermione. I finally found her in the 4th floor girls toilets crying her eyes out.

"Hermione?" I asked, knocking on the cubicle door. No answer. "Hermione please talk to me." The crying stopped and was replaced by a few sniffles and a small sob, then silence. "I wanted to say i'm sorry."

"Go away!" She cried. "Go to your stupid friends."

"You are my friend Hermione." I whispered. Again, no answer. I sighed. "Look, I'm not going until you come out and talk to me. I don't want you to be in here, on your own all day. So, wether you like it or not, I'm staying." I told her.

"You're going to be here a long time, then. Aren't you?" She called. I groaned. God, Hermione could be stubborn.

I slid down the door and sat down outside Hermione's cubicle. I knew that she wouldn't give in. So, to pass the time, I decided I would read my mothers diary. However, when I searched through my bag for it, it was nowhere to be found. I found myself searching frantically for it, but when I still couldn't find it, I found myself wanting to say one of the words I was never allowed to say. After a few minutes of checking and double checking my bag, I found myself hoping I had left it in the girls dormitories.

Looking at my watch, I saw that it was almost dinner time. It had taken me two lessons and our free time to find Hermione. I could feel my stomach rumbling. Why couldn't she have run off after dinner?

If I was to leave now and grab something to eat, I would only be a little while. Hermione probably wouldn't notice. I shook my head. I couldn't do that. One of the reasons she was this upset, was because of me. I couldn't abandon her.

"Hermione, please come out and talk to me." I called. Once again, she didn't answer. "Right, if you're not coming out, I'm coming in." I told her.

When the door still didn't open, I went into the next cubicle along, stood on the toilet and lifted myself up and onto the side of the cubicle.

Hermione was staring at me with shock.

"Why did you do that?" She asked, her voice hoarse from crying.

"Because," I started, pushing myself off the wall and landing perfectly on the ground. "You're my friend and I hate seeing you upset."

"I thought Malfoy was your friend." She whispered. I sighed.

"Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling him my friend just yet, but there's another side of him. A kinder side, that he's not quite ready to show yet." I wasn't going to tell her about what Draco had told me about his parents. It was his private information and I had no right to tell people, so I kept my mouth shut.

"He's still a bully." Hermione said, matter of factly.

I sighed. "I know, it's just-" I was interrupted by a loud bang outside.

"W...what was that?" Hermione asks me, her voice barely a whisper.

"I don't know." I told her truthfully. "But I'm going to find out." Without hesitation, I reached out, unlocked the door, and left a shocked and scared Hermione in the cubicle alone.

When I saw what the source of the noise was, I had to hold back a terrified scream. Standing not even ten metres away from me, was a troll.

I felt myself freeze as the troll stared at me. What was I supposed to do? We hadn't learned any defensive spells yet. Looks like I'm going to have to wing it, I thought.

Playing completely on instinct, I held my wand tight and ran straight under the trolls legs, momentarily confusing him while I tried to think of some sort of spell to use.

I noticed the door to Hermione's cubicle opening and saw her walk out and stop in her tracks.

"Hermione," I yelled, "get back in there!" But the troll had already started towards her. I felt myself beginning to panic. I was about to run at the troll to divert it's attention to me, when the door flew open and Harry ran in followed by Ron.

"Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley!" I yelled. "What on earth are you doing in here?"

"We thought you'd need some help." Ron replied. "But, never mind, it looks like you've got everything under control."

"Oh ha-ha. I'm laughing so hard." I said, matching his sarcastic tone.

"Next time, we won't come to find you, we'll let you be eaten by the hideous monster!"

"That troll isn't half as hideous as you, Ronald! We could have-"

"I'd hate to interrupt your bickering, but we have a problem here!" Harry interrupted us, gesturing to Hermione.

I gasped as I saw how close the troll was to Hermione.

"Crawl under his legs!" I called to her, but she seemed to frozen with fear to hear me. So, instead of trying to get through to her, I did the very smart thing of running under the trolls legs and pushing Hermione out of the way just as the trolls wooden club came swinging down in the space she was in only seconds before, missing me by a few inches.

That's when I realised how stupid this idea really was. Just as the troll lifted it's club up to swing at me, Harry leaped, landing on the trolls back and shocking the monster for a moment during which he shoved his wand up the trolls nose.

Ron then pulled out his wand, pointed it at the troll and yelled "Wingardium Leviosa!"

The trolls wooden club began to float over his head, after a few seconds, it came crashing down and landed on it's head, knocking it to the floor.

I felt my heart suddenly beating at a thousand miles an hour. How had that just happened? How did a troll get into a high security school? More importantly, why? Why would a troll come into a school unless somebody needed to use one?

"I...is it dead?" I heard Ron ask.

"No." Harry replied. "Just knocked out." I found it hard to process the words, still in complete shock. I looked over to Hermione and saw her staring at me.

"You okay?" I asked. She nodded.

"You saved me." She whispered. I nodded at her, before noticing the tears in her eyes.

I was about to say something when the door flew open and in walked Professors McGonagal, Snape, Quirrel and Pomfrey.

"What are you three doing in here?" Mcgonanal yelled in a shrill voice. I didn't know what to say. None of us did.

"They all came to help me." Hermione suddenly said from the corner. The teachers must not have noticed her. "I thought that I would be able to stop the troll on my own, the others saw me leave and came to find me, but it was too late. I had already been trapped by the troll. Avalon saved me. Without her I would have been killed." She explained.

"Well, Miss Granger, that was very foolish of you, wasn't it? I will be taking 5 points off Gryffindor for your disrespect of safety." Hermione nodded and left. "Now, for the rest of you. Although, I believe you were very lucky, not many first years could have taken out a troll. 5 points to Gryffindor each." We found ourself sighing with relief.

"Actually," interrupted Professor Snape. "I have been informed that miss Phoenix has been skipping lessons today, so I would like to speak to her privately in my office. I also believe that she should have 5 points taken away for disobedience." He turned and left, beckoning me to follow him. I glared at the hooked nose professor's back, before following him.

•••

A/N I'm very sorry for the long delay, but I have a reason. My klutz of a sister dislocated her knee at work, so, I've been helping her with her, like, ten thousand kids. Well, actually, it's three kids, but it seems like more.

I will make a deal with you, for every vote I get, I will write approximately 100 words.

Thank you all for reading, I'm really thankful.