Chapter 7 - The forced engagement

Hayat's POV

After the meet with Murat, Hayat was having second thoughts about everything. She knew something was amiss. She needed to do something really quick as the engagement ceremony was in the evening (it was just a formality for the elders). Just before Laila fetching her to go to Sarte the day before, she actually received the offer to start work for the designing company with a good salary package and based on her dictated terms. ' What if I accept the job and silently leave here with Iso?' Hayat ponders. " But will they hound my family if I do that?, I doubt I can take everyone with me and disappear, I just brought this on me by going to find answers in Sarte, oh God! I am such an idiot!,' Hayat mutters to herself. Hayat then calls Laila and tells her she needs to meet with her and Azime privately as soon as possible. Laila initially says they can speak in the evening but Hayat insists to meet before it Laila reluctantly agrees and tells Hayat to come to the Starbucks near their place.

At the Starbucks

Hayat embraces both Azime and Laila and asks them if she can get them something to drink. Laila says not to trouble herself as they just had tea. Without delaying Hayat straight speaks up " I am so sorry, but I don't think I can go through with this,' Both Azime and Laila expected this and came prepared to do everything possible to brainwash her. They knew the meet with Murat would have upset her. Azime looks at Hayat and says ' My dear, I know marrying a stranger is never easy and in this case my grandson's temper and attitude has preceded him. Please don't take to heart what has happened. Right now everyone is still finger pointing at each other as we don't know what really happened to Ibrahim and Didem.  All that is in the past now. What matters most is the 6 month old baby that needs a proper set of parents and a stable home." Hayat than quickly says ' Actually I can bring him up on my own, I've even got a job that allows me to work from home and care for him.' Azime than asks her "So when Iso starts asking about his dad, what are you going to tell him? or when he goes to school and he gets picked on for being fatherless or even worse illegitimate", Azime knew she was upsetting and angering Hayat but she continued on " You could have allowed us to take him, in fact if left to my son or grandson they would have just snatched him away after getting the best lawyers to handle this situation, but knowing your love for him me and Laila did not want to separate you from him. We can see you are nothing like Didem and Iso also needs you, so please my child let me and Laila assure you, we will support you in everyway. Please don't fear this alliance.' Hayat finally gave in but she stipulated only one thing " I would like to work, since the offer I got was to work from home I hope it's not going to be a problem' , Laila than asks her why does she need to work as Murat was a multi-millionaire and would provide for her and Iso. Hayat sternly replies " For Iso he can do whatever he wants but I do not want anything from him. I don't want his money.' Both Azime and Laila agree. During the car ride back, Azime tells Laila " I think Murat is finally going to meet his match in every way,especially in the stubbornness department.'

The Engagement

As everything was hushed the engagement was taking place in one of Sarsilmaz's 5 star hotels in central London. Murat and Kerem did diversify the family business that they also own 3 five star hotels across London. Both the engagement and marriage is scheduled to take place in the banquet hall there with no admission to anyone other than the immediate family.

Doruk comes to check on an agitated Murat who was pacing up and down the penthouse suite with a file in hand. "Abi (brother), is something wrong?" Doruk inquires. Murat stops pacing and shows him  the file. He explains " I had a detective investigate the Uzun's as well as a complete investigation into Ibrahim and Didem, some of the findings don't add up' , Doruk than asks " Are the Uzun's out to cheat us or something Abi?', Murat than sarcastically says " that's just it, they seem to have no hidden skeletons and from what the private detective found, the family seems to have struggled all their lives and have had to work very hard. Other than Hayat's father who absconded with his fathers money a few years back, the rest of them seem to be normal working class people.' A confused Doruk than asks " so what's the problem than Abi, Isn't it good news that you are not marrying a family of gold diggers,' Murat than says " the findings also confirm our belief that Didem lured Ibrahim as there was a big sum transferred to Didem just before she got close to Ibrahim. Something does not add up, who would transfer so much money to her and why did she continue working for us even after that for 8 months - the 8 months where she lured and caught Ibrahim." Murat than continues " what if Hayat is like her sister? Is she planning something as well without her family's knowledge as her seeking us out by herself that first time seems fishy especially if she claims to want to adopt the child. She did not need to tell us about him", a very confused Doruk than says " Abi, let's not think the worst, definitely something seems amiss with Ibrahim Abi's story so let's wait for further findings from the detective, you don't let that ruin your thoughts. Also, what can Hayat do when there are so many of us and seriously Abi she must be a fool to think she can get away with anything especially with you as her husband.' Murat than arrogantly says ' That I must agree, there is no way in hell she can ever try anything funny with me or our family - that will be the end for her.'