𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑

All I know, Cinds, is that life isn't fair. It never has been and it never will be. It's up to you to decide what to make of what's thrown your way.

CINDY ELAINE HARRINGTON wished she could say that 1984 was a better year than 1983, but unfortunately, it wasn't possible.

Past traumas clouded the girl's mind, troubling her to no end. Just last year, one of her closest friends had disappeared, and barely a week later, his body had been found in the town's quarry. A funeral had been held for him, yet in the few days after, his friends and family had discovered he was trapped in an alternate dimension, and very much alive.

Though, Will was home. He was safe, happy and protected by his family and best friends. It was a problem that the youngest Harrington would live with all her life, but not one that she carried like a weight on her back.

The disappearance of Eleven haunted Cindy, looming over her like a demon dangling her past wounds in front of her face, enabling her from resolving them.

The girl had been like a sister to her, in fact, she was the best friend she had ever had.

Yet, she had no idea where she was, if she was safe, if she was even alive, for that matter.

All Cindy Harrington had was a dying hope for Eleven. The connection they shared would never fade from her mind, and she thought of Eleven every day since that night in the abandoned classroom, no matter how hard she tried to shake her wandering soul.

If she could push away the lingering thoughts of Eleven, Cindy Harrington felt that her life had in fact turned itself around.

Her mother, while still troubled by the sheltered life her husband had forced her into, still encouraged her daughter to push past the boundaries set for her, to be strong, confident, a leader who retains grace in the cruelest situations. A fighter with a fire in her eyes.

Her brother, Steve, had made his amends, cutting off his "King Steve", asshole ways and turned into a lovable, dork of an older brother. In the past months since that night at the school, the Harrington siblings had shocked not only their parents but the entire town with the close bond they had forged. 

Her friends had never been closer. Having Will home, it was as if their party was in its prime. Cindy had vowed to each of the boys that she would work endlessly to better understand their world, and in some ways, she had. She had studied the terms and actions of Dungeons and Dragons over and over again with the boys, and she had to admit, she had gotten pretty good at the game. However, in other aspects, such as her friends' love of all things science, she lacked on. The youngest Harrington could read millions of books, listen to the boys drone on and on about scientific causes, yet she still couldn't grasp a love for the subject as strong as theirs.

 But behind all that happiness, all that good, Cindy Harrington longed for one thing, one person, only.

And even if it cost her her life, she was determined to find Eleven and bring her home.

(this chapter has been revised and edited as of october 4, 2020)