Chapter Seven; Halfway To Heaven

**Carter's P.O.V.**

When we got into the music room Brantley dropped me on the couch and went over to the stereo putting in his other CD.

"What's this one called?" I asked.

"Halfway to Heaven." Brantley said. The memories behind that song came flooding back into my memory. I almost lost my best friend that day and it hurt.

~Flashback~

Carter~ Sixteen

Brantley~ Nineteen

I was getting ready to walk out of the door to go to church when my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID and it was Becky; Brantley's mom. I answered the phone quickly because she never calls unless Brantley didn't come home the night before.

"Hello?" I asked. I heard sniffling on the other end of the line and I knew she was crying.

"Becky? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked getting a little worried.

"Brant... Brantley... Car... Hospital." Those where the only words I understood out of her mouth. I hung up the phone and ran inside to my Sarah. I was in tears and I needed to get to the hospital.

"Sarah! I have to go to the hospital! Something happened to Brantley!" I yelled running until I made it to her.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I don't know! Just take me to the hospital!" I yelled. She nodded and followed me outside we got in the car and sped to the hospital. When we got there I barely waited for Sarah to put the car in park before I got out running to the hospital. I ran to the front desk but before I could ask about Brantley I heard Becky call my name. Her, Kolby, and Brantley's dad were sitting in the waiting room. Becky meet me halfway wrapping me in a hug. I cried into her shoulder and she was doing the same thing to me. Sarah came in taking the seat next to Kolby. Neither me nor Becky sat still for more than five minutes. When the doctor finally came out everyone stood up wanting to hear the news.

"The good news; he's going to be okay. The bad news; he can't go home for another two weeks." The doctor said. Everyone sighed in relief and hugged one another myself, Becky, and Brantley's dad hugged the doctor.

"Can we see him?" I asked.

"Yes, you can go back one at a time as he starts to progress we'll let more go back." The doctor said. I nodded and Becky followed the doctor to Brantley's room. I spent everyday for the next two weeks in that hospital room with Brantley. I only left at night an that was only for a short period of time. When he got out of the hospital we spent so much time together until I met the boy in town.

~End Flashback~

I didn't even realize that I had started to cry. Brantley came over and pulled me into a hug.

"It's alright Angel. I'm here." Brantley said into my hair.

"And I thank god for that everyday." I said when I got myself together.

"I ain't goin anywhere. I promise." Brantley said smiling.

"Pinky promise?" I asked holding my pinky out. He chuckled and latched his pinky to mine.

"Yeah, I pinky promise." He said laughing. I smiled and laid my head on his shoulder being content with listening to his CD.