stephen.

as a child, i always wished for a sibling. little did I know I actually had one. i would find this out, on my own, at age 14. (i'm 16 now) i went down to my dad's office and spotted a picture of him with a kid. i didn't recognize this guy at all. it was odd because they looked alike, and i didn't think he would have a picture with a random kid? unless he was related.. i asked who the kid was and he seemed skeptic to tell me. 

at first all he said was, "his name is stephen."

i finally got it out of him that he is my brother. i remember how excited i got, i had so many questions. however, my dad refused to tell me much. i remember them telling me stephen wasn't a very good kid. he got arrested before, he did drugs, he ditched school..

that night i found him on facebook and texted him. i wondered if he even knew of my existence. 

he didn't reply though, ever.

i kept questioning why they didn't tell me about him sooner. why haven't i met him yet. what he was like. i wanted all these questions answered.

my parents didn't seem to want to answer any of what i asked.

whenever i brought him up, they seemed disappointed or upset.

i thought it may be because they miss him, dad did say he hasn't seen him in years.

i don't get why they wouldn't want me to meet my own brother. why wouldn't they take me to see him? they could contact him if they really wanted to, plus he lives near.

but I found out something recently that answers some of my questions.

my friend told me that her step-mom is my brother's step-sister. they see each other frequently. well, when I found out this information, I thought I should tell my parents.

i had to stop home to grab something and my friend was with me. i told my parents how her step-mom is related to stephen, and they didn't seem very excited. they asked her name, and responded with an "oh."

my friend quickly pulled me aside saying i shouldn't have said anything, she seemed really scared and upset.

she didn't want to tell me at first, saying it would hurt me, but i felt like i had to know.

she had told me what her step-mother told her. apparently my mom wasn't very thrilled with my dad having a kid when they got together. in fact, she took him to get a DNA test. she was hoping it would turn out he isn't actually dad's kid. she didn't want to deal with him. whenever he came over to visit dad, she would make him do chores and get him out of the house. apparently my dad didn't stick up for him at all.

i wouldn't want to believe this happened, and I do not know for sure. it patches so many holes. they didn't want to tell me because they didn't like him and don't want me associating with them. my dad never sticks up for me if mom is yelling at me, but he'll come in my room and tell me he thinks i'm right. it seems like it could be real but I don't know. i'm too scared to confront my parents about this.

my friend also told me stephen did see the facebook message i sent him. he said he was too scared to reply. he's too scared to see my mom and dad again. he wants to meet me but he's scared. he shouldn't have to be scared. we should have met a long time ago.

one day I swear it, i'll meet him and figure out the truth.