Chapter 3

The gala seemed to last forever, the bright lights once beautiful was now irritating. The loud and moving crowd would have become a nuisance if Selene didn't admire the smiles spread across their faces. She envied them almost, she wanted to be free like that. She wanted to venture out to the town on her own anytime she wanted, Selene wanted to have a job, make genuine friends, fall in love, get her heart broken, marry for love and enjoy life.
She knew it was just fantasy but she couldn't help but dream. So instead of burdening her heart with more grief she decided to focus on tonight's events. The cute Nicholas who made her laugh and had a smile that was brighter than those painful lights. Adam, the strange suitor who her father probably chose as a joke. She didn't really want to think about Adam, too embarrassing. Daniel, the brown haired beauty. He was more stoic and kind than anything. He rescued her from Adam, she thanked the lord. They had danced for a while and chatted. Mostly about the kingdoms economy and how their parents were doing. They talked mostly about politics and such. A man named Ross, he was nice but boring... mothers choice she assumed. Timothy, who she took a liking to. Not in a romantic way but as a little cousin or brother, he was far to childish. Malic, who couldn't dance and kept falling over. Last was John, he was strict and correcting. He kept correcting her posture and footwork. He was most irritating.
But now she was alone again, more of a comforting loneliness. The party was nearing its end so she could finally excuse herself. Selene lifted the edges of her dress a bit as she walked up the marble steps up to the elevated area. She straighten her back and turned to her family and curtsied, turned back around and walked through the now opened doors back into the castle. She took a breath as she passed through the doorway, out of sight from her mother. She slouched only a bit and thanked the guards who opened the doors for her. She walked to her room and shut the door behind her.
With her back to the door she slid down against the door and tucked her head into her knees. The fabric of her dress was rough and scratchy against her cheeks, but dampened by her tears.

~Fancy Time Skip From English Class~

The early morning sun drew out from its dark slumber and shone on on the princesses sleeping face. Her head rested on a white pillow, a red blanket draped over her body. The new sudden light awoke Selene from her peace, just as she had planned. She quickly put on a plain evergreen dress and grabbed her brown bag. She slipped her books and an apple into the bag and set off to her language class.
Selene had a pleasant smile on her face, not because of her class, but because she planned on leaving a little earlier than usual so she could go outside. Language class as usual was boring and long. The professor had a big bushy mustache and graying hair. All his attention was on Selene as she was his only student. Today she was learning Arabic, a necessity if she were to have any conferences in the future with the countries due East of Aclary. Luckily, once the clock struck 10 she was permitted to leave. In doing so she kept out of her seat, grabbed her back and made a swift exit. Not forgetting to thank the professor of course.
As Selene saw the door to the garden her mood changed. The dark, and almost hidden wooden door was pushed open as she turned the steal knob. It opened up to a whole new world, the grass was so green it looked fake, the trees had beautiful and long reaching branches and vines. The flowers bloomed all sorts of colors and the lake to the left of her sparkled.
Selene quietly shut the door and walked outside, she could only go out every Wednesday. Because she knew that is the day the gardeners leave early in morning and only come back at 3 in the afternoon. She would surely be scolded by her mother is she knew. Still, it was worth it. Having a small sliver of rebellion and a small piece of peace was enough for Selene.
She saw a large oak tree, it's branches large and sturdy. So she threw her bag into the leaves and started to climb. Once she got to a good branch about 7 feet off the ground she leaned against the trunk, her legs crossed over each other on the branch. Selene pulled out a book and begun to read. The book was a worn red and the pages were turning yellow. Her imagination wandered to her own fantasies, her own dreams. Oh how she wished to be a character in a story, to valiantly fight off evil or fall in love.
But reality got the better of her, she didn't hear a horse approaching and in her haze she didn't realize someone was there until a man called to her.
"Aren't you lonely up there?" The voice was light and held back mild amusement. Pulled out of her mind so suddenly Selene jumped and fell from her sturdy branch and onto the soft dirt. Her face contorted and she rubbed her sore behind. The man got off his horse and quickly held out his hand for her to grab.
"Ah! Sorry are you ok miss?" Without looking up Selene grabbed the mans hand and was pulled to her feet. When she finally looked up, she was met with a familiar smile.
"So we meet again!" Nicholas cheered, "Though through interesting circumstances. I almost didn't see you in your blanket of leaves." Selene unconsciously tucked a strand of her free falling hair behind her ear.
"It is very nice to see a familiar face. How have you been?"
"I've been fine, just taking the horse for a quick ride to stretch her legs." Selene liked his voice. He sounded like he always wanted to laugh, it was contagious. She hadn't smiled in so long until last night, Selene was glad to see Nicholas once more.
"You like horses?" He inquired.
"I certainly do! Before my parents caught me I was a brilliant rider!" She smirked with unknown confidence.
"Is that a challenge little lady?" He put his hand to his chin and raised a brow.
"I am not little. In fact I am the perfect height, you sir are just too tall." He laughed and she chuckled.
"And what if it were a challenge?" Nicholas pressed, "Would you really be able to be me?"
"I would love to Nicholas... but I can't." Selene averted her eyes from his.
"Why not? It will not be long, you would just be reading anyway." Nicholas looked at her, how she wanted to go with him... but she knew the consequence.
"I am not allowed too. 'A princess should not waste her time on silly games, you already know how to ride. That is satisfactory.'" Her head aimed at the ground, "My mother would surely throw a fit."
"Is that why you were hidden in the tree?" Selene looked up in sudden shock. His expression made her heart pull, he looked to her with such disappointment and hidden pity.
"I-" but Selene was interrupted by someone calling her name. She quickly turned and sighed.
"I'm sorry I have to go..."
"It's understandable, just don't disappear on me ok?" Nicholas chuckled and got back on his horse.
"May we meet again some day M'lady."