Amber, part 2

At first Irezumi was still a little afraid of Mr. Ryu, thinking he would wait for him to relax before doing something unnatural to him. But little by little his fear left him, replaced by respect, then by adoration and finally by undisguised worship. Because there was impossible to find a better teacher than Mr. Ryu, not only in Fanneshtou, but probably in all of Yunan.

Mr. Ryu was kind and patient. He never raised his voice, but could make his pupil ashamed of his stupid mistakes or lack of diligence with a word of reproach or gentle mockery. He never forced Irezumi to do anything, nor forbid or deny him, yet he could turn him to look in the right direction and make him find answers himself.

The best reward for Irezumi now was the approval in his teacher's eyes. Long since those yellow eyes with vertical pupils ceased to frighten the boy. They even – what a miracle! – started to seem beautiful to him, especially when they sparkled with inspiration of a heated speech about the heroic past of Yunan, about the renowned warriors of old, first of which, according to Mr. Ryu, was Ashurran, the warrior princess.

Little by little Irezumi started to think that Mr. Ryu isn't only the best teacher in the world, but he is the best person among all the living people. No one had such a beautiful handwriting, such a strong, melodious voice. No one had read so many books, no one knew so much about everything under the Sun and the Moon. No one could understand the present and foresee the future with such clarity; no one could predict so aptly the actions of people or the movements of planets.

Also Irezumi couldn't help but think bashfully about what his teacher hid under his clothes. No chance that his physical perfection isn't equal to his spiritual one! Mr. Ryu kept his age a secret, yet he didn't seem to be a feeble old man. He moved freely and easily, and was light on his feet, especially when no one saw him except for one curious boy peeking out of the window.

He was tall and lean, and had long, black, shining hair, as a young man, not a grizzled old man – Irezumi knew it, because he sometimes found hair on the teacher's comb or on the floor. But in one regard was Mr. Ryu different form a young man. He never indulged in carnal pleasures – or at least his observant pupil had noticed nothing of the sort.

Yet Irezumi had found an explanation for this. After all, everyone in Fanneshtou was afraid of the Keeper of the Archives and found him repulsive, as did Irezumi a short while ago. And Mr. Ryu was too magnanimous to force anyone, and too proud to use his position or pay money for sex. Irezumi's adoration grew more fervent because of those thoughts. And even before he had turned fifteen, he fell in love with his teacher with all the ardor of youth.

Irezumi didn't want to behave like some silly girl from a romance. He didn't stoop as low as to squeeze his teacher's hand meaningfully, to assume some seductive pose or to make sheep's eyes at him. He was seeking not sex, well, not only sex, but the teacher's trust and intimacy. That wasn't an easy task – to gain trust of someone who had kept everyone at arm's length for years, even decades! Irezumi decided to uncover the mystery of Mr. Ryu and find out who he was and where he came from.

In all of Fanneshtou there probably was not a single person left whom Irezumi didn't ask about Mr. Ryu – sometimes very carefully and sometimes very directly. There was not a single book or scroll left which Irezumi didn't read. And some amazing and even frightening fact was revealed to him. Mr. Ryu had been the Keeper of the Archives for much more than fifty or even eighty years. Almost two hundred years had passed since he shut himself in the Temple of Fanneshtou, assumed the name Ryu and renounced his worldly name and position.

Now Irezumi felt even greater desire to uncover Mr. Ryu's mystery! He rushed to read all the books he could find about supernatural beings, elves, wizards, magical creatures. Someone resembling Mr. Ryu just ought to have been mentioned there. But Irezumi didn't find the right answer. There were sea dragons, and they had golden eyes with vertical pupils. But they were literally dragons living in sea water, and they could assume human form, but only once in a hundred years, and could keep it for no more than a day.