Craving - Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty–One

Jade

I quickly leafed through the folder. Colin had filed charges against Talon for assault and battery. Damn. This had never occurred to me, and it probably should have. One thing was for sure—I couldn't take this case. I had major conflicts of interest on both sides.

I opened my mouth to say as much, but Larry started talking.

"Talon Steel was just arrested today. As far as I know, he's next door in lockup at the police station. I'm sure one of his rich brothers will bail him out any minute now."

I gasped. At least he was safe. Where had he been? He must have been taken in after I left for work this morning. My skin prickled. I couldn't stand the thought of him in a dank little cell.

"Mr. Wade—"

"Larry, please."

I nodded. "Larry, you know I'm staying at the Steel ranch. And I feel I'm under obligation to tell you also that the alleged victim in this case, Colin Morse, is my ex-fiancé. So clearly, you can see how I have a conflict of interest here. I don't think I can work on this case."

"Nonsense. In a small town like this, there's always some kind of conflict one way or another. We all know each other."

"But I—"

"This isn't anything different than what we see all the time around here. You will take the case. Mr. Morse is staying in a hotel in Grand Junction. His contact information is in the file. I don't know if Mr. Steel has retained counsel, but if you want to go next door to the police station and speak to him, now might be a good time."

I couldn't believe this. Perhaps Larry didn't feel what he was doing was unethical, but I sure did. Yes, I got that in a small town the potential for conflict was pretty great, but I had conflict on both sides of this case.

"Larry, I'm asking you as a professional. Please don't make me take this case."

"Jade, I've known the Steels since they were kids. I have just as much conflict as you do. But someone has to take this case."

"No, you don't have as much conflict as I do. I have conflict on both sides. I was engaged to the alleged victim, for goodness' sake. And I was a witness to the attack."

Larry's face turned red. Had I crossed a line? I did want this job, and I was thrilled that he was giving me the opportunity.

"If you're unable to take the work that I assign you, I will have to find another attorney for the position."

Yup, I'd crossed a line. I knew an ethical violation when I saw one, but I needed the job. I couldn't hang out at the ranch forever. And he did have a point about conflict being rampant in a small town. Plus, this way, I could make sure Talon wasn't too harshly punished. For some reason, turning over control of Talon's fate to Larry or anyone else didn't feel right to me. I'd make sure Talon got an attorney, and any attorney worth his license would make sure I was removed from this case.

"No, you don't need to find another attorney. I appreciate the opportunity to work here. I will take the case."

"I think that's a wise decision. But I'll advise you, Jade, if you want to keep this job, do not question my ethics again."

I nodded. I had no doubts. From what I learned in legal ethics class, Larry was definitely violating ethics by putting me this case, and consequently, I was as well. But this wasa small town. What he said made a lot of sense. If we were that stringent about conflicts, we'd have to bring in outside counsel to prosecute every case. That wouldn't be feasible. So I would work the case to the best of my ability. I didn't want Talon to go to jail. I could see that he paid restitution and got community service or something.