i ; luke

When Prentiss Hemmings, Luke's mum, sat him down for "a talk," he'd been expecting something awful. Maybe she'd found his expansive collection of sex toys hidden away in his closet. Maybe, unlike how Luke had thought, she wasn't turning a blind eye to his drinking and she wanted to ground him for it. However, Prentiss wasn't mad at Luke at all. 

"Luke," she murmured, "You know how I told you about the new man I've been dating?" Slowly, Luke nodded and shifted nervously on his bed. "I was thinking about inviting him to move in. Only if you're completely comfortable with it, of course." A relieved grin spread across Luke's face and he nodded instantly. There was more than enough room; the Hemmings' house was massive, with three floors and five bedrooms along with a basement suite. 

"Sure, Mum. As long as I can keep the basement." The idea of losing his lavish accommodations made Luke coil up slightly. Partially because the suite was every teenager's dream, but also partly due to the soundproof foam tiles built into the roof that kept any noise--particularly sexy ones--from drifting upstairs. 

"Of course, kiddo. That's yours." 

"You're the best, Mum. I love you," Luke said with a grin, wrapping a long arm around his five-foot-five mother. "So, who's the guy? Is he cute?" 

-

"Mikey!" Luke cried, hopping excitedly at the sight of his best friend down the hall. "Hi," he sang, stretching the word as he jogged the short distance between him and Michael. "I missed you," he announced throwing his arms around his best friend's neck. 

"I missed you too, Lu," the older boy replied, much more quietly. Instinctually, he caught the leg that Luke slung up around his hip. Usually, Michael and Luke would hang out and talk constantly during the weekend. However, Luke had been busy all weekend cleaning up the house for his mum's boyfriend and Michael was out of town with his parents. "Is the boyfriend at your house yet?" 

"Not yet," Luke responded, dropping his leg and releasing Michael from their hug. "He's moving in tonight. I'll meet him then. D'you want to come?" Legs moving in sync like show horses, the duo walked down the hall with Luke lazily leaning on his best friend's shoulder. 

"I have to unpack," Michael replied with a pout. "Text me and keep me updated, though. Hopefully he's better than the last one that moved in." Luke nodded with a small snicker. Brody the bro, as Luke and Michael called him, had had the personality of a frat boy despite being twenty-eight. Prentiss had always liked to date younger men. Probably since she'd been only nineteen when Luke's biological mum, her sister, died and left a four-year-old Luke as Prentiss' responsibility. 

"How young do you think this one's going to be?" Luke wondered aloud. Never once in his life had he ever had an issue with his mum's choice in men. However, that didn't mean he was oblivious to the fact that, while other parents were married to their high school sweethearts and attending PTA meetings, his mum was working long hours and dating men in their twenties. 

"Ten bucks say he's twenty-five," Michael offered. 

"Mm," Luke responded, raising a skeptical eyebrow. "Fifty says he's twenty-four."

"Fifteen or fifty?" Michael replied. "We're not all rich kids," he teased, gently elbowing his best friend. Giggling like a schoolchild, Luke bumped him back. 

"Let's pretend I said fifteen," he replied. 

"Dude," Michael said suddenly. "What if he's hot? He's young enough that you could date him!" the lilac-haired boy cried with a stream of laughter. High on the excitement of seeing his best friend after a weekend apart, Luke cackled into Michael's neck.