17.

I wrote Steve a letter. So he knew it wasn't his fault.

I packed what I could in a tiny bag, my suit and shield being a part of my packing. It was 3 am. I needed to go.

I left the note on the bed, quietly walking from my room to the elevator. The one person I saw was Thor, snoring on the couch. " Sorry to cut the reunion short, buddy." I said sadly as the door closed.

***

Bucky was waiting for me, right where I knew he'd be. " You don't look suspicious at all."

" Forgive me for not having a shower and one outfit that isn't made to hold weapons for torturing and killing." He stood up, " You said you found us a car?"

" I did. Come on."

We walked about 2 blocks, coming to the minivan I unlocked. " I didn't know Avengers were so good at stealing."

" Get in the car." I sighed.

I climbed in the drivers side, taking mainly back roads since I knew when Steve saw I was gone, he'd check every camera in the city. We finally made it to the freeway, and I relaxed a bit. I hated the silence. I knew Bucky didn't have much to say.

" Where do you want to go?"

" Eastern Europe. I know my way around pretty well." He said, not looking like he wanted to carry on the conversation.

I nodded, " Okay. Do you wanna stay in one place for a while or keep moving?"

" I don't know."

" You're making it very hard to talk to you."

" What is there to talk about?" He snapped.

  I hit the breaks, pulling to the side of the road. " You asked for my help. Forgive me for trying to make you feel like a normal person for the first time in half a century."

" I haven't talked to another human being normally since they erased whatever was in my brain. The last person I talked to before you showed up was a Albanian Politician, I stabbed him in the neck."

" I can't help you if you're going to act like this."

" How do you want me to act?"

" Just talk to me!" I exclaimed, resting my head on the wheel, " Every day since I've been awake, the chance to talk to you again is the one thing that has been out of my reach. I had the entire world, but you know what I was thinking? God I wish Bucky was here. So let me talk to you without the snappy comments!"

He was stunned. " I-I... I'm sorry. I'm not that Bucky."

" I'm well aware of that. Can you let me at least try and get that Bucky back? Just let me talk?"

He nodded. " I'm sorry. Talk my ear off."

I wasn't in the mood to talk anymore. I started driving again. We didn't even look at each other.

***

Steve

She was gone.

Dear Steve,

It's not your fault, is the first thing you need to know.

Bucky found me. He's not himself, but he begged me for help. He's a disaster. He needs me. I'm going with him. Please don't try to find me. I'll find you, when we're ready. He needs time, he needs help. He's scared and alone and has no one else he can trust besides me, he barely even remembers me. Please trust that I'm safe.

I love you so much, Steve. I'll see you soon.

Tony found the note before I did. We were all frazzled. " She ran off with him." Tony sighed, " She actually did it."

" Don't tell them who she went with." I said, " Please."

" Why shouldn't I?" Tony said.

" If you start a worldwide manhunt for the Winter Soldier, that's how you trigger a homicidal episode. She'll actually be in danger."

Tony scoffed, " Are you kidding me?"

" Trust her." I begged, " She would never go with him if she knew she wouldn't be safe."

" I won't tell them. But if you think I won't do everything in my power to find her, you're wrong."

" Tony," I sighed, " Stop it. Let me handle it. She's my sister."

" And she's my family, Rodgers." He stormed from the room.

I buried my head in my hand, finally allowing myself to cry. She was such an idiot. Why didn't she tell me? All I want to do is be with them again. To have my family back in some kind of normal state.

I laid on her bed for a while. I didn't move, I barely even took a breath. I clutched that stupid letter in my hand, staring around her room. The entire place already felt different.

It all made sense. I looked at her closet. She left her nicer clothes, most of her clothes actually.

Her uniform and shield were nowhere in sight.

She didn't plan on stopping.