Chapter 3

“Hey Riker.” I said shyly. We were standing alone at the shore. The waves were gently crashing on the sand below us as Riker fiddled with some shells. Slowly, he stood up.

“Hey Hayley. How’s it going?” He asked, his eyes remaining fixed on my own. Other pigs, like Dylan, would have used the opportunity of a girl wearing only a bikini top and shorts to check her out. Riker didn’t however. There was something different about him and I liked it….. A lot.

“It’s going good. I just got a little bored. Why are you by yourself?” I asked. Riker picked up a pretty pink sea shell.

“I just needed some time to think.” He said.

“Oh, well, I should go.” I said, backing up.

“No, no. It’s ok.” He replied.

“Oh, ok.” I said awkwardly. We stood there for a moment, gazing out at the sea, before Riker broke the silence.

“Can I ask you something, Hayley? I know we just met and everything, but I’d really like to know your opinion.” He said. His voice was so perfect that it made me swoon a little bit.

“Sure.” I replied. Riker breathed in.

“Do you ever think you’re not good enough at whatever you do? Do you ever get that feeling when sometimes you just wanna lie down and go to sleep forever?” He asked. His words hit me like a dagger to the chest.

“Actually yes.” I said. Then it was my turn to take a deep breath. “A few years ago, I was bullied in school for doing something I love. I was in the school chorus because I loved to sing. People would tell me I wasn’t good enough and it hurt. Eventually, I believed them. They would push me down in the hallway and tell me to get lost. I would suck it up and try to be strong, but as soon as I got home I would just spill over and cry. I would cry until I was tired and then I would….” I trailed off, not knowing the right words to say.

“Cut your wrists?” He said. I nodded. “I saw your scars when I helped you up.” He started. I rubbed my wrists remembering that I forgot to cover up my scars. “I wondered why a girl as perfect as you would harm herself.”

“Thank you Riker, but you don’t know me. You don’t feel what I feel inside. I’m definitely not perfect.” I said. My eyes started to sting as I backed up to walk away, but he grabbed my hand and placed the seashell he picked up in it.

“I do.” He said, simply.