CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Flamur Bajramovic conspired and kidnapped Summer Williams. His unconscionable, contemptible actions evoked distressing memories. While Jace further explained his daughter's abduction, I compartmentalised scattered thoughts, reliving a gruesome nightmare.

Jace chased and strived to obtain the fleeing transit van when his phone chimed. He knew it was bad, he'd told me. His paternal instincts, too strong, too devastatingly profound. The unknown caller, Flamur, relayed uncooperative orders.

Call or involve the police, and I'll kill your daughter, Flamur warned. If you want to see her again, unscathed and in one-piece, pull over and wait for instructions.

Unbearably morose, defeated and obsequious, Jace slammed a foot down on the break and listened to orders.

Later that night, after drinking enough vodka to numb his aching heart, Jace, as instructed, sat in a nearby dive bar, waiting for the Albanian's arrival. As an alternative, Flamur sent a loyal subject: Rezart.

It took great willpower for Jace to sit with Rezart. He wanted to reach over the table, wrap his hands around the man's throat and witness the longevity drain from his eyes.

Rezart communicated his boss' instructions. He'd handed Jace an envelope and a list of orders.

Jace, studious and hopeful, thumbed through images of a young woman.

Alexa Haines, Rezart informed him.

Angry, powerless and slightly confused, Jace, with trembling hands, read the penmanship. He had to befriend this unacquainted woman, earn her trust and shake overbearing, overprotective security detail.

Jace had questioned why someone of her apparent, normal status received such lionising attention. She lived on the rough side of town in a council tenanted-building and worked full-time at the Coffee House for minimum wage. Those questions remained unanswered, though. He deemed unknowingness a more comfortable option. Understanding would merely revive his moral compass.

Rezart had stressed that she's protected fiercely by Liam Warren's men and insisted Jace must be vigilant at all costs.

Jace hadn't commented on such warnings. He had, however, heard of Warren thoroughly while residing in London. He'd never spoken nor met the man personally, but whispering rumours and gruesome tales painted the perfect image.

Of course, the inhumane yet strategic plan ensued life-threatening stipulations. Jace, not only had to deceive, manipulate and abduct, in his eyes, an innocent woman. He had to watch his back in the hope that Warren or his men didn't comprehend his fiendish motives and kill him.

First, Jace, calculated and friendly, introduced himself to his victim—yours truly. He wished for my awareness before applying for a job with Grayson. Meanwhile, my deceptively handsome and apparent, homosexual co-worker—even though, I had initially suspected his sexuality—fooled me into believing his desire for friendship and carefree smile. Hell, I genuinely deemed the man innocuous and harmless, defended him against the man I love.

Inconsequential past behaviour, I thought, scarfing down salted fries. Oh, God. I have never tasted such awesomeness in my life. "These are so good," I moaned, licking residue from my chapped lips. "I need more.

Jace smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. "We'll eat more later," he said, hands glued to the steering wheel. "Thank you, Alexa."

I frowned. "For what?"

"For boarding the ferry without fuss." He veered the Chevy onto the M4, dipping his head to look for oncoming cars in the rear-mirror. "You could have called for help the second I left you to use the bathroom."